Officer in Paul Conte Case was Being Investigated for Sexual Assault


Kamal Baldeo gave evidence to coroner about CCTV


Sarah Conte with her son Paul. Picture: Sarah Conte

January 10, 2025

A police officer who gave evidence at the inquest into the death of Putney man Paul Conte was facing an allegation of sexual assault at the time.

Detective Constable Kamal Baldeo appeared before the Coroner in January 2022 while he was under investigation by Sussex Police relating to an incident which took place in a hotel in Brighton the previous May.

It was alleged that he engaged in non-consensual sexual activity after meeting a woman on Hinge, an online dating site.

DC Baldeo gave evidence to the inquest at Poplar Coroners Court that Paul was seen alone on CCTV footage at 12.35am, 12.38am and at 1am, with the later footage on Lonsdale Road appearing to show him walking towards Hammersmith Bridge and away from home on the night of his death on 15 August 2021.

The 21-year-old kickboxing instructor was reported missing when he failed to return from a client’s house party in Barnes and he was found dead in the Thames three days later.

Assistant Coroner Jonathan Stevens concluded that his death was caused by drowning, but that the circumstances by which he came to that death could not be determined.

His mother Sarah Conte says that the police believe he fell into the river after walking by the Swedish School but she has been critical of their investigation due to what she described as its lack of thoroughness. She found out that they had failed to speak to the security team at St. Paul’s School who had CCTV covering the riverside. She also believed that his drink may have been spiked and that he may have been robbed or been involved in an altercation before going into the river. His phone was not recovered and her messages continued to be received after his death leading her to believe it had been stolen. The police told her there was no evidence that Paul had been attacked prior to going into the river.

Two months after Paul’s death 27-year-old Mohamed Mussa was out with friends at Le Fez Night Club in Putney High Street but his body was recovered from the Thames two days later. Despite the striking similarities between the cases, the police at the time insisted there was no link.

Mohamed Mussa (left) and Paul Conte (right)
Mohamed Mussa (left) and Paul Conte (right)

DC Baldeo was informed that no further criminal action would be taken against him regarding the sexual assault allegation in July 2022, some months after the inquest concluded.

However, an investigation by the Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards then took place which concluded DC Baldeo should face a misconduct hearing.

The hearing, which concluded on Wednesday, 8 January, found an allegation he breached police standards of professional behaviour for discreditable conduct proven at gross misconduct and he was dismissed without notice.

Detective Chief Superintendent Clair Kelland who leads policing in South West London said, “Despite no further action in the criminal proceedings, we take allegations of this nature extremely seriously. It took a great deal of courage for the complainant to contact police and she deserved a comprehensive and thorough investigation.

“Our Directorate of Professional Standards works tirelessly to ensure our officers meet the highest of standards and DC Baldeo’s actions fell very far below these.”

Like Reading Articles Like This? Help Us Produce More

This site remains committed to providing local community news and public interest journalism.

Articles such as the one above are integral to what we do. We aim to feature as much as possible on local societies, charities based in the area, fundraising efforts by residents, community-based initiatives and even helping people find missing pets.

We’ve always done that and won’t be changing, in fact we’d like to do more.

However, the readership that these stories generates is often below that needed to cover the cost of producing them. Our financial resources are limited and the local media environment is intensely competitive so there is a constraint on what we can do.

We are therefore asking our readers to consider offering financial support to these efforts. Any money given will help support community and public interest news and the expansion of our coverage in this area.

A suggested monthly payment is £8 but we would be grateful for any amount for instance if you think this site offers the equivalent value of a subscription to a daily printed newspaper you may wish to consider £20 per month. If neither of these amounts is suitable for you then contact info@neighbournet.com and we can set up an alternative. All payments are made through a secure web site.

One-off donations are also appreciated. Choose The Amount You Wish To Contribute.

If you do support us in this way we’d be interested to hear what kind of articles you would like to see more of on the site – send your suggestions to the editor.

For businesses we offer the chance to be a corporate sponsor of community content on the site. For £30 plus VAT per month you will be the designated sponsor of at least one article a month with your logo appearing if supplied. If there is a specific community group or initiative you’d like to support we can make sure your sponsorship is featured on related content for a one off payment of £50 plus VAT. All payments are made through a secure web site.