Forum Topic

Steve, just to put your mind at rest on sewage, Google 'supersewer' and you will find, for all its many faults, Thames has made some big investments in infrastructure.On social housing, I don't know the figures for Hounslow but across London in 2021 about three quarters of social housing tenants were UK born. It is actually very difficult as an asylum seeker or a recently arrived immigrant to get social housing and, for the young men crossing the channel in boats, there is zero chance.On the example of the Vietnamese man with multiple convictions, all I can say it is the wrong approach to take an individual case and suggest it represents the general situation. Without sitting through court proceedings and reading lengthy reports you can't say with confidence why any individual avoided deportation but the number of similar cases is small in the overall context.Where the main risk to the public lies is in the significant slowdown in deportations of foreign criminals since 2016 which means there are far more dangerous people in the country that there should be. Most of these are from countries with which we have returns agreements so, whatever you might read in some papers, the problem here isn't 'lefty lawyers'. I can't tell you the reasons for the reduced number of deportations although it may have something to do with the massive backlog in the courts and the process being more complex for EU countries since Brexit. As it is clearly an issue that causes you concern, why not research it further and then lobby the government to improve its performance?

Francis Rowe ● 1d

I'm remain surprised that, given what has happened over the last in post-Brext Britain that people still believe that the huge level of immigration we are seeing is down to lack of border controls as opposed to economic pull factors.We stared into an abyss under the Liz Truss government and saw what would happen if international lenders lost confidence in the UK's ability to pay its debt. We remain a country with massive borrowings and an ageing population to whom we have made unsustainable financial commitments. These were already significant problems before Covid but have got worse with the increase in debt and the huge number of people who have voluntarily left the workforce.The reason we have huge hospital waiting lists, can't get a GP appointment, can't get an NHS dentist and insufficient accessible housing is being built is due to the fiscal constraints that the government is operating under particularly with higher inflation and higher interest rates putting the budget under more pressure.Immigrants are not the cause of these problems but part of the solution. There is no choice but to try and reverse the shift in population structure away from a preponderance away from the economically to tax paying younger people who can help us pay for the services we desperately need. Given our birth rate these workers can only come from overseas. Nobody is saying immigration should be uncontrolled but it is a nonsense to say we can bring it down to net zero.A bonkers one in one out policy if every implemented would bring our flaccid GDP growth to a halt and immediately result in downgrades on our international credit rating meaning that further cuts in essential services would need to be made to meet higher interest costs. The equally insane notion of leaving the ECHR, an basically British institution in terms of its foundation, would have massively negative economic impacts slashing our trade even more than Brexit has done as well as making us an international pariah state.  There are plenty of articles written on how damaging it would be if you are interested in facts but if you can't be bothered just bear in mind that we would have no extradiction treaties with any other countries therefore the UK will become a safe haven for criminals.

Francis Rowe ● 12d

"I wonder what plans the new government will have on work visas"I'm not sure that they have announced anything but I'd be surprised it would not be attempting to reorientate our immigration policy towards Europe. The employers of overseass workers such as the NHS, social care and hospitality used to get a large proportion of their staff from Europe. These workers had the flexibility to come and go and many would return home perhaps having made enough to buy a house in their home country or brought their English up to fluency. The net immigration numbers may have seemed large at the time but this two way movement meant that they were way below what we have now.The work visas currently being granted generally allow a right to remain after five years therefore people from outside the EU see any job as a great opportunity to move permanently to the UK along with their family.Successive Conservative governments have allowed this to happen I believe because they were very worried about the headline economic growth figures and the financial vulnerability of the UK. Simply having more people in the country boosts the top line GDP number and reduces debt per capita.Despite the massive numbers of people coming in, labour shortages persist in key industries and our demographic situation means we have to import more young people if pensioners want the triple lock.Labour will probably benefit from an improving economic position with interest rates falling and they may be able to provide an extra small boost to growth by removing some of the Brexit restrictions. I would hope they would grasp the olive branch provided by the EU and leap at the opportunity of the return of short term Freedom of Movement for the under 30s. Although it might boost the net immigration number in the first two years in the longer term it would bring the number down by replacing workers intending to live here permanently with their families with ones who will eventually leave.

Francis Rowe ● 13d