Forum Topic

Paul, you're right. What's even more boring is why I needed some. Try and say awake whilst I explain.It all started years ago when I was at a flea market somewhere in the West Country.As I was saying I was at a flea market and spotted a 00 gague model of steam locomotive. On impulse I bought it.For years it just lived in a cupboard along with other bits and bobs I have needlessly collected over the years until I watched an equally boring programme presented by James May on how to disassemble and reassemble this particularly loco.Ah, I thought, I'll have a go myself.Anyway having spent a few hours at the task I wanted to test  it to see if it would run properly. I needed a live track. Remembering my younger brother had a wonderful layout when we were kids I rang to see if he still had it.Like me he doesn't throw much away. Bingo, yes he had stored it away in his garage.(along his beautiful classic car) Still with me?So next weekend I motored up to Oxfordshire along with my loco. Brother had laid out track and powered it up along with his identical loco that had been in storage for years whereas  mine had just been rebuilt and raring to go.Blooming heck! His ran like a dream and mine just stuttered pathetically. Very annoying for me but as I am sure you can imagine greatly amusing for him.Anyway, I wasn't having that. I set to work. By a stroke of good fortune and generosity I was given a lot of track along with lots of stuff to go with it.Then Lock Down fell upon us. What to do to pass the hours?Chatting to my brother he told me he was rebuilding his childhood railway  to loop around his garden studio.The sibling rivalry was on! Both layouts took on a life of their own, stations, hills, bridges, goods yards, turntables were all constructed and rolling stock purchased from eBay.Brothers each trying to out build the other in friendly competition. The rules being to scratch build as much as possible and spend as little as possible.Anyway, you must be dying to know why the cellophane?Ah well, that's another long boring story.

Adrian Irving ● 17d