Forum Topic

Anita  It was my local Household Reuse & Recycling Centre for absolutely years and I was very disappointed when it closed. However an awful lot of stuff went into that crusher and I saw the faces fall of people who thought they were bringing stuff to be reused and recycled when they felt it still had life in it - only to be told to just chuck it in the crusher.I remember turning up with a load of cardboard and when I was told that they did not collect it for recycling and to put it in the crusher I took it away again.  I wrote to the Council to complain and ask for a collection skip there as the alternative was to take it to Greenford which was further away and not somewhere I regularly travelled past.  I have always found the Greenford site very grim. It had much more builders' waste and was always more of a business waste site than Stirling Road.  Stirling Road had a skip for plastic packaging long before there was a kerbside collection in Ealing or Hounslow for that.  I also took the spent new fluorescent low energy light bulbs there.  I found it disappointing when they used the site for stuff that was both collected kerbside and in streetbanks.  Kerbside collections have greatly improved and now also include tetrapaks as well as the stipulated plastics and cardboard.  Low energy light bulbs I now take to Robert Dyas - or maybe Ikea or B&Q if I am going there. B&Q (while it is there) also takes small electricals as do plenty of other shops.  Those can now go in Ealing's Electrical/Electronic Streetbanks and in a carrier bag in Hounslow's kerbside recycling collection.I used to take garden waste about twice a year including occasionally some of one or other of my neighbours' garden waste until Stirling Road closed when I bit the bullet and paid for a collection.The one thing I now bin which I didn't before as I could recycle it at Stirling Road is cooking oil.  I follow the WLWA instructions and put it into a screw top jar which when full I bin with the unrecyclable waste.I also argued that we should be able to use the other West London Waste Authority R&RC sites which we AFAIK we still can.  However we do now have to book for them all now and it is worthwhile always checking because every so often there is a fire (often caused by lithium batteries) or some other problem that can stymie a visit. I just hated reversing into those spaces!I understood the workers at Stirling Road were employed under a sub-contract and I believe that it was when that came to an end that the site was closed.  Times have most definitely changed.

Philippa Bond ● 15d