Forum Topic

The statement I made on Hammersmith Bridge becoming a piece of Active Travel infrastructure is based on what I was told by someone who works in local government familiar with how projects are funded. She said that it would be difficult if not impossible to direct funding for road maintenance to what is essentially a footbridge.The London Millenium Bridge is maintained and funded by a charitable foundation which also owns Tower Bridge and London Bridge and but can't any other details of how footbridges are funded in London. The Gateshead Millenium Bridge is funded by the council but it is not clear what pot of money this comes from.Your point about footpaths and cycle lanes being funded out of the road budget isn't correct because these are an integral part of the road network and therefore there is no issue with funding them out of road maintenance budgets although they can also get Active Travel funding.I took you advice and googled flexible asphalt and found a range of what seemed well informed opinions on how it could be used on suspension bridges. If there was a consensus it was that it would have to be applied in a relatively thin layer and would need to be regularly reapplied due to damage caused by temperature variations which is why most suspension bridges just have a concrete roadway.I was unaware that the designated link from C9 was Bridge Avenue but most times I would cross Hammersmith Bridge is riding for leisure with family and friends on the Thames Path and I would imagine this accounts for a large proportion of cyclists. We'd generally take Mall Road and Rutland Grove to join the bridge although have been using other routes since it was fully closed.

Francis Rowe ● 24d

This seems to be more a dead cat on the table aimed at distraction that any sincere attempt to do anything about Hammersmith Bridge.This apparently big contribution is nicely timed for the Mayoral election and I fear a trap was deliberately set for people to leap to the conclusion that this was an acknowledgement that the future of the bridge was traffic-free.There seems to be no indication whatsoever that Hammersmith and Fulham Council lobbied for this particular investment and, has been pointed out, resurfacing a bridge of this nature isn't going to deliver a smooth ride for cyclists.If H&F haven't abandoned the two decker proposal for the bridge, as Tom points this resurfacing would cut across that and, even if they have it restricts other options. The project appears to be timed so that it is due to complete before the next election so the council don't really have the option of delaying it in the hope that a Labour government will allow them to spend the money on stabilisation and repair of the bridge structure. If they did, the Tory line on Hammersmith Bridge would be 'look we give them money and they don't spend it. They are incompetent and they hate cyclists!'None of this is actually really relevant to the future of Hammersmith Bridge because nothing substantive is going to happen until Labour are in government. I've not heard either Andy Slaughter or Fleur Anderson having anything to say on this and their silence may indicate forthcoming disappointment for those who would like to see the bridge fully open. 

Jeremy Parkinson ● 24d

While this looks like good new on the face of it it probably isn't.You risk being accused of being a bit of a 'Cycling Ali' by uncritically sharing government press releases. There is a report on the front page of this site which gives a bit more context.The reality is this is probably a government in its last knockings looking to draw down on unused pots of funding to try and maximise their advantage for political purposes. This is more part of Operation Save Greg Hands than any attempt to make things better for cyclists.Nobody who regularly cycles across Hammersmith Bridge would have put resurfacing on the top of their wish list. Better linkages for people on bikes, particularly on the north side would have far more impact. Because of the nature of the bridge and the connection points between each section it is always going to be a bumpy ride, even after resurfacing so the net gain here for cyclists is not that great certainly not for the amount been spent. There is so much more that could have been done for local cycling infrastructure with that money.So what has actually happened is that the Conservatives have taken money out of funds marked for Active Travel and dicated to Hammersmith & Fulham Council how they are to be spent. The rather sinister wording of the government press release shows that there will be consequences if the council don't do what they are told. The main purpose is to show how 'committed' they are to Hammersmith Bridge and artificially boost the amount they have spent for election leaflets in Chelsea and Fulham.As for the broader question of whether the bridge should or will open for traffic, this announcement has little to no bearing on it. Greg Hands and Sara Olney can spout off all they want but ultimately the decision will be made by the incoming Labour government. Andy Slaughter seems to have been very quiet on the subject having been a strong advocate of full opening earlier on so there may be good news ahead for those that don't want to see the bridge carrying motor vehicles again.

Mark Evans ● 25d