Forum Topic

Persistent claims that the car park survey I conducted was done at an "unspecified time" are wrong. The information I published stated the time of the survey and this was included in coverage on this website: "As a result, she carried out a second snapshot survey on the evening of Friday 26 January asking users of the car park between 7.50pm and 9.50pm how much they had spent on their visit. An earlier survey she conducted had analysed spending habits during the day." The article is here in full: https://www.chiswickw4.com/default.asp?section=info&page=conparking136.htm Yes, it was one survey on one evening but my view was that surveying one night was better than a survey which excluded all evenings and therefore did not include any information on the value of the car park to Chiswick's night time economy. Besides, there are numerous evening events so the negative references to the fact that I conducted the survey on a comedy night at the George IV is another distraction. The George IV holds comedy nights every Friday and Saturday - if I had surveyed on a Saturday night, would that have been irrelevant? What about other nights? Thursday is music night; Monday is quiz night. Should I only have surveyed on an event-free night at the George IV? What about events held in other Chiswick locations which might also bring drivers to the car park so they can spend their money in our local businesses? Are they irrelevant, too? As for running a survey on all the other nights of the week, no doubt I will be criticised for choosing the wrong Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday or Sunday - and perhaps if I do another Friday, getting that wrong too. One significant point about the other parking survey was that it included early mornings when demand on parking is extremely low, because most shops aren't open until 9.30am or later. In my view, if it was ok to include hours when the car park is little used every day, implying the car park is less valuable than it is, it should also be ok to include hours when it is almost always full every night, enabling drivers to support our local economy.

Joanna Biddolph ● 24d

The conclusion of the earlier parking report was that ample parking was available in the centre of Chiswick. That may have been compiled in a more professional way that Cllr Biddolph's ad hoc survey but she did hers in her own time whereas the previous report was funded partially by Hounslow Council taxpayers.You seem to have missed the entire point by claiming her choosing a time when the car park was likely to be busy to do the survey in some way undermines her conclusions. If you go along tonight (even though it is the holiday period, you will see a full car park) and therefore, by excluding the times when the car park is busiest, the first report seriously underestimated the times it was full to capacity.Of all the rumours doing the rounds about why she has been suspended, the one that does have something of a ring of truth to it is that the Conservative group wanted to adopt a more 'market-friendly' stance seeing the popularity of these events and the positive impact that they were having.There was frustration about Cllr Biddolph's apparent guerilla warfare against them which some of her colleagues felt was motivated primarily by personal animosity to individuals involved with the markets rather than any principle. While there is probably something to this, her point about the capacity of the car park is well made and she is reflecting concerns among business owners in the centre of Chiswick. The party will need to provide reassurance that they will not be neglecting their interests .

Jeremy Parkinson ● 28d