Forum Topic

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/65f400adfa18510011011787/low-traffic-neighbourhoods-research-report.pdfwas pupblished in March 2024. An excerpt ...In September 2023, DfT wrote to approximately 130 Local Highway and Transport authorities in Englandwith an invitation to complete a survey about LTN schemes. The Department received 42 surveysubmissions among 130 invited to take part. Of these, 26 reported details of LTN schemes implementedin their area and 16 reported zero LTN schemes (four submissions were additionally received via email).A total of 99 schemes were identified by responding authorities. Ipsos used univariate and multivariateanalysis, presented in this report.The survey provided some insights about the usage and effectiveness of various schemes. 82% of LTNschemes remain in place with 18% subsequently removed. The most common type of Traffic RegulationOrder (TRO) was found to be an experimental one, which has since been made permanent. Active traveluptake was the most common primary justification for implementation. Understandably, schemesreporting social distancing as a justification were the least likely to remain in place.The survey asked Local Authorities about the reasons for removing schemes and the nature ofexemptions applied. Objections from residents and lack of active travel uptake were the most reportedreasons for scheme removal, with removal also the result of reduced need for social distancing. Thesurvey found that the most frequently applied exemption4 was related to emergency services (69%),while the least common exemption was related to taxis (11%). Schemes with exemptions were mostlikely to remain in place.

Andrew Jones ● 46d

Ok,I can understand why you think a 44% response rate is simply unrealistic but just consider the following ...What if someone went up and down Swyncombe Road with a petition, asking people to oppose the restrictions being removed?Every single one of those signatures would surely count as resident's objection in the eyes of Hounslow Council, would it not? If you have someone who is active in the street, it doesn't take much imagination to believe that the figure of 130 people opposing might actually be true. Maybe you were right and there was an earlier consultation which only had 17 households supporting restrictions.I wasn't at all keen when a CPZ was introduced into my road some 20? years ago. But if you asked me now whether I'd want it to be removed, I'd certainly object as I can just imagine what the consequences would be.If I'd had thousands of cars driving through my road (which I think we are both prepared to accept might have been the case on Swyncombe Avenue albeit while other traffic measures were in place elsewhere), and someone came around with a petition asking me if I wanted restrictions put in that would ensure this would never ever happen again, I'd sign it, and encourage all my neighbours to.Hey, I'd even go round myself and organise a petition.Do you remember someone (I think it might have been Joanna Biddolph, but I could be wrong) who took it upon themselves to try and stop cars driving down TGT when they closed it to through traffic during the pandemic? Good for her.

Andrew Jones ● 48d

"The consultation has obviously been gamed" ..."I have provided detailed data"Err with respect, I don't think you have, or not on this thread at least.Your initial reference to Swyncombe Avenue was that the closure was voted for by 17 households.I asked where you got this figure from and how it could be squared with what was reported by BrentfordTW8 (which was that about 130 residents of Swyncombe Avenue voted for the restrictions)It seemed unlikely to me that 130 residents who approved would only be living in only 17 households (and indeed you confirmed that the average occupancy of a household is much lower than 130 divided by 17).I asked you if you thought Hounslow were lying about the figures they'd given, and you said something along the lines of "No" but you didn't think all the objections to opening up the street came from Swyncombe Road.You said that the average response rate to a consultation is below 20%, and if 130 people (resident in Swyncombe Avenue) responded that would mean the number of residents in Swyncombe Avenue must be higher than it is, for a figure of 130 to be true.Why? If you had a high number of vehicles passing through Swyncombe Avenue once upon a time and that number suddenly dropped because of restrictions, why do you find it so unbelievable that the residents of Swyncombe Avenue might decide that actually, they like the fact their road doesn't have hundreds or thousands of cars passing through it every day, and actively oppose removing the restrictions being removed?

Andrew Jones ● 48d

No the statutory guidance does not say that:"Everyone should feel they have been listened to, and authorities should seek evidence of strong local understanding of, and support for, proposed changes. Local authorities should not impose schemes in the face of strong local opposition that is clearly representative of the views of the community."No evidence in any of the places in London where LTNS are in place that strong local opposition is clearly representative of the views of the community. Quite the opposite where despite a determined effort opposition could only ever muster a tiny fraction of the community. Very easy for Councils to demonstrate this with the evidence we have from existing scheme implementations. So nothing changes here."Via its engagement and consultations an authority should be confident that a scheme is capable of carrying the support of a majority of the community before introducing it." Capable of carrying the support means that the government acknowledges that opinion will change on schemes post-implementation so we can expect to see more of the same. It is certainly not an instruction that schemes can only progress with majority support."Where the scope of a scheme is geographically broad, so should engagement and levels of support be. Where changes to local roads are significant, so should levels of local awareness and support be."So angry drivers from Ealing will have no say on the quality of life for residents of a single street scheme in Isleworth. The residents will decide. As it should be.Basically this guidance on consultation has not changed but the government recommends representative polling as it found out to its own surprise and cost with its review that the noisy minority opposition can be very misleading for politicians who are trying to gauge and respond to public opinion. If Bell had used representative polling in LTN21 Mason would have had a much tougher time staging his coup. 

Paul Campbell ● 49d

The new statutory guidance issued yesterday actually endorses LTNs, normalises them as a tool for local authorities to use to exercise their network management responsibilities and reconfirms the guidance for implementation, all of which was followed by Hounslow with the South Chiswick Liveable Neighbourhood for example.One change is that it calls for representative polling to evaluate local support, which is bad news for the opponents who have tried to game consultations. Every single representative poll of LTNs conducted in the past four years has shown supporters outnumber opponents by a factor of 2 to 3, including in the government's most recent report. And this report finds that LTNs work, reduce overall traffic and generate economic and health benefits. It concluded the opposite of what Mark Harper was hoping for. Which isn't at all surprising because given the choice of course most people would jump at the chance to not have thousands of rat runners ramming themselves through their narrow residential streets. This was not the outcome LTN opponents were hoping for. They had anticipated the government finding a way to stop LTNs. Instead they have said what I have been saying for ages - they have been around for decades and are very useful.  The campaign against LTNs actually died yesterday but it will take a while for High Traffic Neighbourhood supporters to realise it.Another good thing was the reminder that the government can take over roads from LAs or install Transport Directors to ensure a LA is fulfilling its network management duties. I can see this producing the opposite effect to that hoped for by the opponents of LTNs and cycle lanes post General Election. Watch this space The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea ....Yet again the Conservative government has come unstuck when the culture war rhetoric takes a dip in the cold water of reality.

Paul Campbell ● 51d