Forum Topic

Simon  I keep on telling you that I have never thought (and I actually argued with the consultants who advised it) that the free collection and then paid for collection of garden waste was such a good idea as it was bound to have unintentional consequences with increased concrete and reduced greenery.  However it was an absolutely brilliant way of increasing the amount of recycling collected in order to improve recycling figures and a Council's place in the Recycling League Tables.I have suggested ways in which you can reduce the volume of garden waste you make but that just doesn't agree with your personal agenda.  And because it doesn't you insist on being insulting.  I can SEE the reduced amount of garden waste during the winter as there are very few bags put out in our street.  We don't have large gardens so we use bags of which we have three.  Many Councils do reduce their collection during the winter months. Brent is one - it goes to a once a month collection instead of fortnightly. They don't have a Christmas tree collection (although you can take your tree to specific parks) so people use their garden waste bins for their cut up Christmas trees.Twickenham now has a Library of Things as well as Hammersmith.  Although right now neither has a garden waste shredder but that doesn't mean people can't ask and they won't have one in future.  They can also be hired from elsewhere.BTW  When did you last see an Ealing Council compost giveaway?  I used to alert people to these.What do you think about Ealing Council stopping the Careline contract in their care homes?

Philippa Bond ● 63d