Forum Topic

Where did you pick up this ridiculously biased story, Maggie?"The market has shown some signs of improvement during the course of 2023; however progress has been uneven. Adult mechanical bike sales were stronger during H2 2023, with volumes up 6% versus H2 2022.""While the first few months of 2024 are expected to be difficult, volumes are forecast to grow in the low to mid-single digits between 2024 to 2026. There are two key reasons for this. Firstly, trends over the second half of 2023 showed adult bike volumes and e-bike volumes improving versus 2022. Secondly, the macroeconomic picture is expected to improve incrementally (from a low base) during 2024.""Any faster recovery of cycling market growth is likely to be dependent on a step-change in government investment in cycling infrastructure, and the type of policy interventions proposed in Bicycle Association’s UK Cycle Industry Manifesto.The Manifesto sets out the industry’s policy requests across a wide range of areas. Specifically, it highlights three ‘quick win policy’ asks for Government: a national e-bike subsidy scheme; zero VAT on children’s cycles; and securing funding for growing the UK cycle industry’s capacity to innovate. The BA will continue to advocate these policies and the strategic approach set out in the Manifesto over the coming year, in the run-up to the UK General Election and beyond."Just read it and read the direct quotes I identified, rather than making up negative stories. It's clear sales are well down since the pandemic boon - hardly a surprise because it was extremely difficult to buy any bike during the lockdown - but the report clearly says they are improving, and expected the recovery to gain more momentum, whether there is any government changes or not.https://www.bicycleassociation.org.uk/news-press/ba-2023-annual-market-report-confirms-worst-mechanical-bike-sales-this-century-but-predicts-return-to-growth-in-2024/

Guy Lambert ● 94d

I'm not claiming that response times have gone up in other locations. The road appears to have been managed so that queues are been moved to locations where there are three lanes available to traffic meaning that emergency service vehicles don't get stuck. I believe response times haven't increased but I don't believe these figures have any significant weight in proving this is so.Sceptics of the claim that Cycleway 9 has improved air quality on Chiswick High Road, of which I am one, can point to a range of other factors that probably have more weight including a cleaner bus fleet, traffic lanes further away from measuring stations, ULEZ led improvements and fewer vehicles on the High Road (discouraged by increased journey times rather than modal shift). I don't think that there is any ambiguity as to where people think some of this pollution will have been shifted. The throttling of traffic into the centre of town to avoid a logjam at the pinchpoints has led to consistent queueing eastbound at the Acton Lane junction and westbound at the Chiswick Lane junction. It is inconceivable that this hasn't led to a worsening of air quality at these points. It should be pointed out that since the latest phase of the Cycleway was implemented, from my observation, there has been a significant reduction in queueing back from Chiswick Lane. Also the council is proposing to remove the Acton Lane bus gate due to the displacement of traffic it is causing into nearby residential streets. Therefore, although pollution has increased in certain parts of Chiswick due to the cycle lane, the issue might be improved or solved without the need to remove Cycleway 9.

Jeremy Parkinson ● 97d