Forum Topic

Anita,1. Paying lower than the minimum wage to four illegal workers is exploiting them. It's not an element. It is exploitation. How else can you define it?2. Where did Maggie criticise the actions of Samy Amer? I've only noticed her running a chaotic defence of his struggling supporters like you.3. Referring to the facts in the news reports on this topic is not "frothing at the mouth and standing outside his café demanding his lynching". It is explaining the context of the  forthcoming licensing decision. Mischaracterising disagreement and criticism and attempting to demonise people who have different views are crude rhetorical devices and not really necessary in what appears to me to be quite a simple discussion about the consequences requested of a Council by a Home Office for a serial offender.Here is the description of the four illegal workers from 2019. The Home Office itself describes in clear and precise terms why this is not a victimless crime and explains the harms people like Samy Amer cause to our society.2019 visit discovered four illegal workersThe cafe was initially visited by Immigration Enforcement in September 2019 where four women were identified as working illegally: two behind the counter, one in the kitchen preparing food, and a fourth who had been working as a cleaner.One said she had been working for about four weeks on the weekends prior to the enforcement visit.‘She stated that she was paid £7 per hour in cash by the owner. She claimed that she presented her ARC card (Application Registration Card) before she was offered the job. She confirmed that the manager knew she was not allowed to work.”The second woman, who was paid £4.58 an hour, said she had not shown any identification to gain employment.The woman working in the kitchen had entered the country ‘clandestinely’ by boat. She said she had been working for nearly two months and had yet to be paid, and her employer had not asked to see any documents.The fourth woman had been working as a cleaner for over a year and was paid £7 an hour. Mr Amer said he was not aware she did not have the right to work.

Paul Campbell ● 104d

He has managed to get Maggie Dodge and Paul Campbell united in common cause even it is in frothing at the mouth and standing outside his cafe demanding his lynching. That is some achievement.The word exploitation has been banded around by both of them and it does look like the earlier case in 2019 may have involved an element of this. However, it is much less clear whehter the more recent one does. I'm not saying that it would be enough to spare him further punishment but every time I visited that cafe there was a good atmoshere with staff who seemed pleased to be there and were friendly. This can't be said for every establishment on the High Road. I, for one, will be sad when Hothouse closes which now looks inevitable.As for the delivery companies, they are undeniably bad corporate citizens. Their liveried riders more often than not jump red lights and don't use lights at night including ones on electric bikes that can suddenly loom out of the dark at you.Before Paul Campbell has an aneurism I should stress I am not making an anti-cycling point. It is brilliant that so many of our deliveries are done by bike.However, young men are often bad cyclists just as they are bad drivers but it should be down to the company that employs them (and employ them they do whatever they claim the legal position is) to ensure that they obey the rules of the road and don't endanger themselves.As you don't need a licence to ride these bikes, it is likely that most of the illegal labour employed as delivery riders will be using them. This isn't the reason I don't use these delivery services. Talk to a restaurant owner and they will tell you how bad a deal they get from them so always order direct from your favourite places. A massive new 'dark kitchen' complex is being built nearby in Acton which is likely where your food order will come from in the future. Order away if you are unconcerned about actual exploitation of workers legal and illegal.

Anita Blake ● 104d

"there are those who will see anything less than perfection as a failing for them to exploit". Sorry I thought this was a reference to the topic we were discussing. I didn't realise you were just making an unrelated generic accusation about unrelated and unnamed people being exploited for their failings....I realise that my expectations of some degree of coherence from people on this forum are misplaced and that I really should have learned from experience by now. Anyway back on topic. Jenrick wrote to the delivery companies in November on this. Clearly the Home Office is concerned, is taking actions and is not just somehow unfairly singling out an independent business owner on Chiswick High Road.Here is his letter:14 November 2023Dear Uber Eats, Deliveroo, Just Eat, Illegal Working in the Food Delivery Industry This Government is determined to prevent illegal migration and clamp down on abuse of our immigration rules.Illegal working is not a victimless crime. The ability to work illegally in the UK is a major driver of illegal migration and provides the practical means for migrants to remain in the UK unlawfully. It undercuts legitimate businesses and cheats those with the right to work in the UK out of employment. It is invariably linked to tax evasion, illegal renting and abusive and exploitative behaviour, including modern slavery in the most serious cases. Those who enable illegal working – either deliberately or through malpractice – are complicit in the harm it causes society. Our Immigration Enforcement teams are surging the number of operations being conducted to bring those violating our laws to justice. Over the first three quarters of 2023, over 4,000 immigration enforcement raids have taken place across the UK targeting illegal working, marking a 70 per cent rise on raids completed during the same period in 2022. For those employers that are caught acting in a non-compliant manner, we are trebling the fines they will be issued. This heightened enforcement activity has exposed the level of illegal working within the food delivery sector. Specific enforcement activity directed against the sector so far this year has resulted in 381 people being arrested. Whilst we continue to ratchet up enforcement activity, I am determined to tackle the root cause of the problem. The gig economy is a growing part of the UK labour market that, when operating correctly, is a force for good. However, the current levels of abuse within the sector, enabled by business models which rely on individuals themselves to confirm a person’s eligibility to work, enable unchecked account sharing to take place and are completely unacceptable. This has allowed illegal working, labour exploitation – with tragic results – and places the security of the public at risk. When a member of the public places an order with a food delivery company, they have the right to know that the person who turns up at their door has been properly vetted by the delivery company. The practice of allowing account holders to substitute work to other individuals completely unknown to your business, potentially including illegal workers, must end. The Government expects you to end this unfair and dangerous practice and, as swiftly as possible, evidence to us the processes and technology implemented - such as facial recognition software - to enforce that position. As leading technology businesses, you are uniquely placed to respond to the challenge swiftly. Over the last few months, the Home Office has had constructive engagement with the sector. In the summer we secured agreement to strengthen recruitment processes, including how to confirm a person’s right to work in the UK, and to improve awareness of illegal working. But as I made clear to you earlier today, we must go further to end unchecked account sharing altogether. I am pleased to have secured agreement with you today on improvements to your operations. By maximising the power of technology, you can prevent unchecked account sharing and ensure the public have confidence that the person delivering to their homes has been properly vetted. We have agreed to continue working together at pace, recognising the urgency and seriousness of this issue. However, if progress towards this outcome cannot be demonstrated, the Government will be forced to consider all options to prevent illegal working and exploitation in this sector. The stakes are simply too high to allow practices that allow it to continue unaddressed.The Home Office’s priority will always be to strengthen our borders and keep the British public safe. It is crucial that we work together to end those practices which compromise this. Yours sincerely,Rt Hon Robert Jenrick MPMinister of State for Immigration

Paul Campbell ● 104d

Strident views? Look at you projecting again. I pointed out to the OP that paying people far below minimum wage sounded like exploitation to me. A defence that others are also exploiting illegal workers isn't much of a defence really is it? I don't think the Council will be taking much account of that one when making their decision on the licence.I'm sorry but it is local news that the Councillor in question has had to apologise for her defence of Hothouse. Perhaps you think the local news and the local Conservative Party are pursuing a vendetta against her? More likely they raised yet another collective sigh at the serial lack of judgment. Here is the Chiswick Calendar update from yesterday:Update on Thursday 1 February: Cllr Biddolph says she made her comments without reading the Home Office report in fullThe Opposition group of Conservative councillors on Hounslow Council have sent The Chiswick Calendar a statement from Cllr Biddolph, saying she has withdrawn her support for Mr Amer’s licence application.“I made my comments without having read the Home Office report in full”, she said.“I realise not reading the report in full is an error and an embarrassing one. I was shocked and visited the licensee wanting to know the background. On 22nd January, on receiving the papers for the panel hearing, I read the Home Office review and immediately wrote to the licensing department to say that I was reviewing my position.“Later that day I said the Home Office report changed my position. I spoke to, then messaged and emailed, the licensee to say that I could not support him. That remains my position.“As a fellow human being, I remain concerned for the licensee’s mental health and his future and have contacted him a couple of times to see how he is. This is entirely separate from the fact that I cannot support his behaviour as outlined by the Home Office.”

Paul Campbell ● 104d