Forum Topic

I'm sure you are both right that there is a slow and steady decline in car usage and therefore it can be concluded that the number of people driving to shop is declining as well. However, shoppers who drive will remain significant for decades to come and the ability to park will be important for the vitality of a town centre.How dependent a shop is on available parking is going to vary business by business - a cafe hardly at all, a clothes retail very much - but at the margin customers in cars are going to be the difference between profit and loss for many.The notion that because Chiswick's parking is 'chronically underused' is a dangerous one. I note that it already is being wheeled out to justify Sainsbury's plans to build on the car park at the Essex Place store. This is not because the parking space is not needed but because they calculate they will make more from the housing they put on the site than they will lose in reduced revenue from the store.I think I am correct in saying that this was originally Metropolitan Open Land used as a car park by Sainsbury's under a covenant. The council will probably be happy to see more housing go up and waive away any concerns about building on MOL but Chiswick's central commercial area will lose its largest parking area. It is underutilised at the moment because it is inaccessible  to many and they chose to go elsewhere.  If it is halved in size that process continues and even fewer people from outside the area come to visit Chiswick.

Francis Rowe ● 114d