Forum Topic

Robert, I think anybody responding to Maggie needs to consider their responsibility, inadvertent it may be, in facilitating what is looking increasingly like a breakdown.Occasionally I will remind forum users that I cease engaging with people who cross a line in their animus towards me. That line for me is when they unashamedly display a compulsion to express their ill-feeling every time I post. That is one of the reasons I block people like Mark Talbot on Twitter. I have no obligation to read or respond to their spite or feed their neediness on social media. I do the same with accounts that I deem to be fake and people who are just too banal, inane or repetitive like Richard Greenhough, Janice Evans and Steve Taylor. Engaging with these people just spawns more of the same. It is a public service to ignore them. I acknowledge and accept all accusations of forceful campaigning for a reallocation of roadspace and a lack of regard for the arguments of its opponents. Guilty as charged. Finally I drive. I’ve never hidden it. In fact the reason my detractors know I drive is because I told them I do.  And yes I do it rarely and only when it is the right tool for the job. I own a small car but I will not indulge in any further speculation regarding the size of my big one. Being a driver who used to use a car regularly and all over London does not make me a hypocrite. On the contrary it qualifies me to comment and criticise the negative impact of habitual and often unnecessary use of private cars on society. I know how drivers think and I believe that to be one of the reasons I am so gifted at getting right under their skin. It is also true that I have no regard for the aesthetic sensibilities of people who think that cycle lanes should be removed because they prefer the look of a streetscape filled with cars. To me that is a perverted aesthetics and a warped view that deprioritises the safety of all the people who benefit from a protected cycle lane - namely children, women, elderly and disabled people in particular. So up with cycle lanes and LTNs. And down with their opponents no matter how hysterical or fanatically personal they become. I’m not scared. I’m winning.

Paul Campbell ● 119d