Forum Topic

"Neither the fascist enemy and its arrogant leadership... nor its supporters... can take their prisoners alive without an exchange and negotiation and meeting the demands of the resistance," Abu Obeida, spokesman for Hamas's armed wing, said in a televised broadcast, referring to the release of Palestinian prisoners held by Israel."We have no choice but to fight this barbaric occupier in every neighbourhood, street and alley," he said.Hamas demands"In the first 45-day phase, Hamas would release all remaining women and children, as well as older and sick men, in exchange for an unspecified number of Palestinian prisoners held by Israel. Israel would also withdraw from populated areas, cease aerial operations, allow far more aid to enter and permit Palestinians to return to their homes, including in devastated northern Gaza.""The second phase, to be negotiated during the first, would include the release of all remaining hostages, mostly soldiers, in exchange for all Palestinian detainees over the age of 50, including senior militants. Israel would release an additional 1,500 prisoners, 500 of whom would be specified by Hamas, and complete its withdrawal from Gaza.""In the third phase, the sides would exchange the remains of hostages and prisoners."Netanyahu said"military pressure was the best way to free the roughly 100 hostages held in captivity in the Gaza Strip, where they were taken after Hamas’ cross-border rampage into southern Israel on Oct. 7, which sparked the war.""Israel has made destroying Hamas’ governing and military abilities one of its wartime objectives, and Hamas’ proposal would effectively leave it in power in Gaza and allow it to rebuild its military capabilities.""Surrendering to Hamas’ delusional demands that we heard now not only won’t lead to freeing the captives, it will just invite another massacre,” Netanyahu said in a nationally televised evening news conference"

Julian Pavey ● 32d

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68141039As far as I can see, the situation in Gaza is far worse than before the ICJ ruling. It is absolutely unconscionable that Western countries should withdraw funding from the UNRWA because of the Israeli government's denunciation of the participation of 12 UNRWA emploees in the October 7th massacre. Was the timing of this denunciation, immediately after the court's ruling, a cynical diversionary tactic?It's not surprising that a small number of employees were involved in the attack of 7th October - Palestinians make up most of the local staff. But the UNRWA is investigating, and has already sacked nine of the employees, whilst two are missing and one is dead. Why the indecent haste to condemn the agency itself, and withdraw funding? Here's what a coalition of other aid agencies (including Oxfam, Save the Children and Action Aid) said about the decision: "We are shocked by the reckless decision to cut a lifeline for an entire population by some of the very countries that had called for aid in Gaza to be stepped up and for humanitarians to be protected while doing their job".Meanwhile, relatives of the kidnapped Israelis are trying to block the delivery of what little aid there is, as an attempt to force the release of the hostages. This will inevitably end badly. How many more women and children must die of bombing, starvation or disease before Israel learns that force is not the answer to the problems of Gaza and the West Bank? And how much longer will our government be complicit in this crime against humanity?

Robert Fish ● 94d

Jeremy, you have misrepresented my position on Gaza in so many ways that I scarcely know where to start correcting you.I did not insist that "silence equals callousness and indifference". That is your wholly unjustified inference. My last question was merely intended to elicit a response, which seems to have been successful, but not quite as hoped. I didn't realise some people are quite so thin-skinned.When you "point out that this is a complex and tragic situation in which both sides have just cause for grievance and have carried out shameful actions" you are merely stating the obvious, and something with which I would agree. I have never sought to deny the enormity of what Hamas did on 7th October. Nor was it my intention to "pick a side in a war". You may ask therefore why I appear to be so exercised about the actions of the IDF rather than Hamas. The answer is because what Hamas did is already history (although I recognise that, if they aren't destroyed, it could happen again). We can't revisit the past, and revive the lives that were shattered in so many appalling ways on that day. But what the IDF is doing is happening now, and perhaps if our voices are loud enough we can persuade Western governments to do something to stop the massacre.Please indicate where I have expressed opinions as fact. Are you referring to my opinions about genocide? I have specifically said that we can't call the IDF's actions genocide, because we can't be sure about the intention. All I commented on was the practical effect. As to intention, I think you'll find that South Africa, in its submission to the International Court of Justice has indicated evidence of genocidal intent - President Herzog saying there are 'no innocents in Gaza', and the Defence Minister saying Israel will impose collective punishment on the people of Gaza because they are ‘human animals’.In answer to your point in a previous post about the inevitability of collateral damage, how do you justify the use of 2000lb dumb bombs in a tightly-packed urban environment? Are there no subtler and more humane ways of slaying the dragon?

Robert Fish ● 126d

"Strident"? Strident means excessively forceful. I don't think that, in the midst of the perpetual bad-tempered squabbles on this forum over bikes, LTNs, etc, a call to end the virtual silence over Gaza is unnecessarily forceful. If you wish to interpret my post as implying that anyone who doesn't share my point of view lacks compassion, be my guest, but that wasn't the intention, and all I can say in response is that you seem to be very easily irritated.Is this another of your posts such as we have seen in the bicycle/car dispute, where you feign impartiality, but actually seem to be parti pri? Are you a disguised apologist for the IDF?As for your comments on genocide, I wonder how much of my post you read or understood. I specifically avoided calling the Israeli actions genocide, because one couldn't be sure whether they were intended to destroy Gazan Palestinians as a group, in whole or in part, or simply to kill them in sufficient numbers to undermine support for Hamas. But in practical terms, when 21,000 people have been slaughtered (most of the victims being women and children) what's the difference?Finally, if you feel that someone who has never been to either Israel or Gaza isn't qualified to comment on this subject, perhaps you might be prepared to listen to the views of a distinguished Israeli-British historian, who grew up in Ramat Gan and served two years in the Israeli Defence Forces:  https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/world/israel/64132/all-that-remains

Robert Fish ● 127d

I suspect the reason the question was asked is that it would be normally be expected that someone with such strident and confident opinions would have direct and personal knowledge of what was happening.Other than a few stop overs in the Gulf States I've never been to the Middle East so I hesitate to jump to one side of the argument over this horrific situation. I think I won't be alone in being slightly irritated with your implication that anyone who doesn't share your point of view lacks compassion or hasn't considered the situation with some care.To use the term genocide in this context seems to be deliberately provocative and doesn't really stand up to any close scrutiny. Certainly there are people in Israel including those in government whose views could be interpreted as genocidal but the actions of the IDF, while arguably barbaric and excessive are not genocidal.They would claim that civilian deaths are a regrettable but unavoidable outcome of an entirely proportionate and justifiable military action against a territory which is one of the most densely population in the world and against an enemy which effectively uses the people living there as human shields and is continuing to fire rockets at Israel.Whether this is the whole truth I can't say. On the one hand there is no doubt that the destruction wrought on Gaza is appalling but if it is genocidal in intent it has to be said that the IDF are extremely inefficient. According to Hamas health ministry figures the death toll is over 21,000. This is about the same number as the amount of explosive rounds fired into the strip since the start of the assault.The IDF says it gives warnings to occupants of buildings to be attacked and there is testimony of residents receiving calls from Arabic speakers warning them to move. Buildings are 'double tapped' i.e. there is a low explosive charge shell dropped on the top floor of a building before the high explosive round. The IDF says all missiles fired are subject to pre-approval from a team of lawyers independent of the army who must receive evidence that the target is a legitimate military one. Are these rules and guidelines always followed or are they implemented in a way that errs on the side of vindictiveness? I don't know, I've never been to the region so don't have enough knowledge to have a firm opinion.What is undeniable is that the IDF claims it follows rules of engagement and proportionality which are exactly the same used by the RAF in conflicts. This regards anyone within the proximity of a military target as effectively not being a civilian. Our armed forces have killed lots of people on this basis over the past few decades. This is deemed legitimate in the way we interpret the rules of conflict. Obviously, I would like the violence to stop now and no more innocents to be killed and I'm sure everyone feels the same. However, two questions need to be asked. Firstly, in the aftermath of a 7 October-like incident affecting this country would you be backing similar action on the territory of the perpetrator to that currently being carried out by the IDF on Gaza? Shamefully, I suspect I would. Secondly, were the UK in the same situation as Israel, do you think any government could accept a ceasefire and not immediately be booted out of power? My view is that this would be inconceivable.Our ability to impact events in this situation is very limited and any satisfactory solution is going to be very hard to achieve. However, the most effective way for any individual to further inflame conflict is take a simplistic, unnuanced view of what is happening and condemn one side in terms that they are likely to find unjustified and highly offensive.As I will keep stressing, I don't have enough knowledge of the situation to reach a fixed view. What I can say with some confidence is that, after 7 October, Hamas, or any similar successor organisation, cannot have any involvement in government in Gaza. If we want Israel to stop killing innocent women and children, a solution needs to be offered to them that involves a future without Hamas. I really don't have the faintest idea what that might be.

Jeremy Parkinson ● 127d