Forum Topic

"If you are a pedestrian who uses Hammersmith Bridge regularly you will currently be breathing a sigh of relief as pedestrians no longer have to jostle with cyclists on the narrow side walkways.If you’re a cyclist – happy days – journeys are suddenly faster with no need to get off and push your bike slowly along the side paths.The central span of bridge opened for bikes (with a snazzy new tarmacked area) on February 13 but it’s only going to be open until the middle of April.Why the brief window, you may ask? Well, it’s because the stabilisation works on the bridge haven’t been going to plan and have now been temporarily paused. Hammermsith and Fulham Council’s website puts the timeline for the pause at around 10 weeks but we wouldn’t be surprised if the central span stays open a little while longer. After all, the works on the bridge so far haven’t been renowned for speediness. Why has work on the bridge been suspended?One of the reasons that stabilisation work has been suspended seems to be the fact that some major components in the engineering stabilisation solution don’t fit properly and are having to be remade. If anyone asks you why stabilisation of the bridge has been taking so long and you want to be on hand with a short and snappy answer you need to say ‘It’s the steel support plates, first they took ages to be delivered because of the war in Ukraine, and then when they were delivered and installed they didn’t fit properly.’ By this stage you might see the eyes of your interlocutor glazing over, but if they do follow up by asking ‘What are the steel plates for?’ the answer gets a little more complex, but it goes something like this ‘The cracks that were found in the bridge, that caused it to be closed, were in the cast iron pedestals situated under the bridge’s four towers. These pedestals have now been encased in concrete to stabilise them. However, the next stage of stabilisation needs to be the loosening of seized up components in the bridge’s suspension chains which pass over rollers on the saddles the top of the towers and the pedestals. The rollers themselves also need to be replaced. While this happens the chains will need extra support and that’s where the steel plates come in; they are part of an external frame that will allow the saddles to be jacked up allowing the rollers to be replaced and making it possible to work on the seized bearings in the bridge’s chains. "

Adrian Irving ● 62d

Michael, bridge crossings may have fallen but that just mirrors the general decline in traffic over this period.Despite this there is a perception of severely worsened congestion in certain areas since the Hammersmith Bridge closure. I was out the other night with people who live in one of the affected areas and they were adamant about the causation and they are aware of the dangers of false recollection making them unlikely to be victims of a collective delusion.I put to them the figures that you have quoted and asked how it could be that there are fewer vehicles but more congestion.The main thrust of the response was that Hammersmith Bridge was the primary route for traffic coming into central London from the A3 and now most of that has switched to Putney Bridge. At the same time traffic has increased on some roads running parallel to the river so, while overall traffic is down, these routes have become busier. The offset is that traffic has disappeared from some other roads but this is little consolation to you if your home or route to work is now plagued by congestion.In addition the Clean Air Neighbourhood restrictions introduced by H&F Council have diverted more traffic onto Fulham Road and New Kings Road which means tailbacks are reaching Putney Bridge.People living in the area dispute that there has been any traffic evaporation point out that Barnes, always poorly served by public transport, is now very isolated meaning that cars are the only option for many more journeys than before.The concern has to be that WFH and a general downturn in economic activity has reduced traffic overall but we don't know yet whether this is a trend that will continue or if we will slowly return to levels seen in the previous decade. If so, the problems currently being experienced are going to get worse. Large scale developments south of the river look set to add to the problem.My take on this is that the argument that another bridge crossing isn't needed because overall crossing have fallen seems questionable. Taking a helicopter view and looking at top level data gives a misleading picture as to what is happening on the ground.Of course you could be right and people in the area are forgetting how bad things were before and only imagining that the current problems are a new thing. In a way, it doesn't really matter if this is the case because the perception that Hammersmith Bridge being shut is a bad thing  seems to be just about universal in the affected areas therefore political pressure for reopening is unlikely to abate.

Francis Rowe ● 96d

Thank you for this link. I have taken the liberty of setting it out below as it is another shocking example of years of incompetence and mismanagement just like Hammersmith. A stitch in time saves nine. When we learn?BBC HomepageTyne Bridge row deepens as government accused of 'crass neglect'Published17 hours agoShareRust on the Tyne BridgeImage caption,The landmark is badly in need of a revamp, local council leaders and MPs sayA row over government funding for the Tyne Bridge's restoration has deepened amid claims the structure is being treated with "crass neglect".The Department for Transport (DfT) has pledged more than £40m towards the scheme, but the money has not yet been handed over to local councils.The government says the authorities did not submit necessary paperwork until last month.Labour's Gateshead MP Ian Mearns said the matter must be resolved quickly.He claimed the government had shown "crass neglect" towards one of the most recognisable symbols of the North East.He has mentioned the bridge in Parliament three times this month, including during Prime Minister's Questions on Wednesday when he said it was "instantly recognisable around the world as an emblem of Tyneside".Mr Mearns warned of "significant additional cost implications if funding does not come forward" soon.Funds 'still outstanding'There are worries further delays to the repairs - the first major maintenance on the bridge for more than two decades - will result in the crossing's condition worsening even further.Engineering works are expected to take around four years to complete, and setbacks could mean work would not be completed in time for the structure's centenary celebrations in October 2028.Mr Mearns told the Local Democracy Reporting Service the funding would have been delivered by now "if this was Lambeth Bridge, or Westminster, or Waterloo" - three bridges within sight of the Houses of Parliament in London.Newcastle City Council said the DfT had been in possession of the final business case for the revamp since last July, and that minor clarifications were then submitted in November.It added that work on the main bridge had been scheduled to start in early 2024 but that the government funds were "still outstanding".The DfT said the business case was "in the process of being assessed", having now received the final supporting documents.It added the bridge would be restored alongside other projects across the North of England using money "reinvested" from the scrapping of the Northern leg of the HS2 rail project.Following years of campaigning, the DfT announced in June 2022 it would put £35.3m into a project to refurbish both the bridge and the Central Motorway.More recently it promised to cover the full £41.4m cost.

Adrian Irving ● 107d

Below is another example of the blame game joke show .From the Evening StandardLeo Murray, co-director of climate charity Possible, said: "The reality is that Hammersmith Bridge isn't going to reopen to cars anytime soon. The good news is that a car-free crossing can be so much better than what we had before with just a tiny bit of imagination."We can still keep both sides of the river connected while tackling traffic if we think creatively - and that's what we need to do to keep London moving while cutting carbon and calming down our roads. Hammersmith Bridge could be an example of the London we need to get through the 21st century."But Mr Khan said: “No, I do want that bridge reopened for vehicles. I have seen the challenges there are for families in and around the bridge, the queues there are to other bridges.“Of course I want more walking and cycling, using public transport. I want buses to be able to use that bridge as well. Unless there are improvements made, reinforcements made, buses can’t use that bridge.”On Thursday Tory assembly member Tony Devenish suggested renaming the “Sadiq Khan bridge” to embarrass him into action.But Mr Khan hit back: “There’s only one politician that’s into ego and vanity – that’s the previous mayor [Boris Johnson], not me.”A TfL spokesman said: The bridge is an important transport link and we continue to raise the reinstatement of bus links across the river in discussions with the Department for Transport and the borough.“The borough's business case is currently with the DfT for approval and we will support the borough in progressing their next steps.”

Adrian Irving ● 108d

Tom, not sure why you have chosen this particular hill to die on and I can't really spend more time trying to explain things to you on financing as you aren't in receive mode.On the issue of maintenance, if you actually read what I have posted previously you will see they were never included in the calculations. Unlike the other projects you keep referring to, the private sector companies that would be involved in the construction, wouldn't have an ongoing responsibility to maintain.Maintenance is considered as an item to be covered out of general revenue rather than capital expenditure, so it probably wouldn't be funded by a bond. It is a 'forever' cost so needs an agreed funding basis longer than 30 years. It could be if bridge ownership was transferred to TfL they could use toll revenue to pay for maintenance but it looks like Labour are considering some sort of body to fund key infrastructure maintenance. However, maintenance is a relatively small factor in the context of the overall project. The bigger potential liability is what happens if the bridge is blown up or falls down. Where that liability sits is a difficult question but it probably has to be central government.I know you don't want the bridge to be fully reopened and are looking for arguments why it won't happen. You don't really need to make up spurious ones on the grounds of affordability - the complexity afforded by the involvement of three possibly four different agencies is going to be the main obstacle to it ever happening.

Francis Rowe ● 139d

Tom, the returns I am referring to are what is earned on the revenue over the life of the project. From day one it will generate cash and assuming the toll proceeds are held in something like an SPV it could acquire bonds at a similar maturity to the ones issued originally to fund the bridge. There may also be scope to provide a market in the bonds to earn additional essentially riskless trading income. Assuming a £240million issuance then in the final years of the bond the bridge will be generating over £30,000 a day in returns not including toll revenue. When you talk about amortisation, it leads me to think you are considering this to be like the mortgage on your house and therefore are significantly over-estimating the overall costs and the likely level of toll that would have to be charged. I don't know whether the figures provided by Francis are accurate or if his assumptions are as conservative as he claims to be but his overall approach is sound. I'm not sure but the reason why this type of financing can be done in London and not other parts of the country is probably the size of TfL's balance sheet. It is one of the few non-central government institutions that could raise financing on this scale. Elsewhere, such as the other projects you are trying to compare this with, a concession has to be offered to a private sector company to build and run the project. This means an equity risk premium has to be paid raising overall project cost. Funding Hammersmith Bridge within the public sector does mean that ultimately the tax payer takes on the risk of project delays and engineering issues which could add to the overall cost but these are unlikely to be material over the lifetime of the project. All this is theoretical however and inter-agency rivalry is likely to get in the way. However, I can see that 100% public sector funded infrastructure will appeal to the next government and schemes with an element of revenue generation will be additionally attractive. Labour will need to bring down debt to GDP so if they can structure projects in a way that they aren't reflected in the numbers they will be very keen. In London, road pricing is also on its way and I think that most people now accept that, if we want infrastructure that works, the people who use it have to pay for it. Hammersmith Bridge is a very important test case because it is one that could be delivered relatively quickly.

Andrew OSullivan ● 139d

The current stabilisation work is to ensure that the bridge can remain open to cyclists and pedestrians. TfL recently gave a breakdown of their costs on to this August as £17m, so on the basis that TfL is financing a third if the total that come to £41m on the stabilisation works to date, so probably around £50m in total, though some of that is associated with preparing for a possible restoration.LBHF in their report on the toll order say: "The costs of carrying out the full works of restoration will be determined by the outcome of the procurement process. The current estimate is that they will cost up to £250 million."That report also states: "It has been agreed in principle that the costs will be borne equally between the Department for Transport, TfL and LBHF. The outline business case for approval of DfT funding is under consideration and the procurement process will not begin until OBC approval has been confirmed. It is envisaged that the DfT and TfL shares of the cost of the works will be paid while these are being carried out, and the Council’s share will be raised by private finance, which will be paid back by the contractor over the 25 year maintenance period."Francis previously stated "to cover the other two thirds with a 30 year bond secured on toll revenue for let's say £160million, just under £14,000 a day would be needed to fund interest and capital repayment." Clearly that was a miscalculation even on his original assumptions as 30 years of £14,000 a day doesn't even cover the capital. Just to fund interest and capital repayment for £250m over 25 years at 5% requires a £49k toll revenue which Francis assumed would come from 8000 tolls a day. That's just over £6 each way to cover the funding for construction, before adding in maintenance.  LBHF suggested a £3.25 toll would pay for one third of the construction costs which would then cost £2, leaving £1.25 for maintenance and other expenses. So on the same basis there would have to be a £7.25 each way toll to fully fund construction. That's just not going to be a viable toll level.

Tom Pike ● 140d

"if the toll is too high compared to using the alternative routes, the project will not be financially viable."The same applies if the toll is too low but a shortfall in revenue would not make the project financially unviable but would create a deficit that the bond issuer (probably TfL) would have to cover decades into the future. If there was flexibility in how the toll was charged this risk could be reduced to close to zero for the life of the project."And that toll has to be set sufficiently high to cover the costs of design, build, finance and maintain, plus a profit element."As far as I am aware who maintains the bridge is still to be decided and would be funded separately possibly through some new infrastructure quango being proposed by Labour. There is no profit element involved - equity funding isn't being proposed as far as I am aware. "There is clearly a point at which it is impossible to finance Hammersmith Bridge in total through tolls, and £250m is already way over that when you look at both Mersey Gateway and the M6 toll road."This is just unevidenced speculation on your part on a not-like for not-like basis of comparison. At current market rates the toll would need to generate around £14,000 a day to cover capital repayment and interest over a 30-year-period."COWI are part of the Mersey Gateway consortium than operate that bridge. They are very much interested in how that project was funded, as they have an ongoing interest in the bridge. "They are a consultancy with a tiny balance sheet and no real assets other than staff expertise. They may have an ongoing involvement in other projects but they don't fund them."If your simplistic calculations are good guides now, why are the Mersey Gateway tolls more than twice as high?"I don't know but I would anticipate because the circumstances are different."As to removing the exemption, that has little impact. Only a small minority of traffic was LBHF residents, and that has elastic demand."I wasn't aware such data existed and it would be interesting to know what the actual number was. When talking about exemptions I believe H&F council would wish to operate them in the same way they do for the South Fulham restrictions with residents being able to give access for deliveries and visitors. "In fact every year of closure means there is less profit to be had in reopening it. DfT, TfL and LBHF are all aware of this even if they don’t state it explicitly."This is just wishful thinking on your part."So there’s really no point in arguing that this represents a market opportunity to rebuild the bridge at no cost to the public purse, whatever numbers you come up with. If that were possible, we would already be seeing it. The issues above just provide the explanation."They really don't. The delay in any activity is down to a hiatus in effective government due to the current Westminster administration being a dead man walking. For all your undoubted expertise in many areas, financial markets is clearly not one of them as evidenced by many of your posts in this thread. I'm never going to persuade you to change your mind on the specific point that the rebuilding of the bridge is comfortably affordable if financed by a general toll which could be set at levels which are not prohibitive. To the best of my knowledge you have never changed your mind on any issue discussed on this forum and perhaps you should pause to consider whether this aids your understanding or areas outside your comfort zone.What you should not take from bald calculations of affordability is this process will be straightforward however. The involvement number of different agencies, even if there is a consensus on the ultimate objective, makes putting this together fiendishly complex. They all have a fiduciary duty to look after their own interests and it will need some very strong direction from the top to navigate all the challenges that this project would face. I have no idea whether the next government will be able to see this through.

Francis Rowe ● 140d

Francis, you continue to ignore the obvious risk: if the toll is too high compared to using the alternative routes, the project will not be financially viable. And that toll has to be set sufficiently high to cover the costs of design, build, finance and maintain, plus a profit element. There is clearly a point at which it is impossible to finance Hammersmith Bridge in total through tolls, and £250m is already way over that when you look at both Mersey Gateway and the M6 toll road. COWI are part of the Mersey Gateway consortium than operate that bridge. They are very much interested in how that project was funded, as they have an ongoing interest in the bridge. They could have chosen to be simply a contractor during the construction and maintenance but decided there was a profitable role for them in the longer term. If your simplistic calculations are good guides now, why are the Mersey Gateway tolls more than twice as high? As to removing the exemption, that has little impact. Only a small minority of traffic was LBHF residents, and that has elastic demand. The most inelastic demand is from Barnes residents close to the bridge, but that’s also a small fraction of the traffic that used to come from further afield.  And that less local  traffic has very elastic demand - you can’t even see an excess of traffic counts on the neighbouring bridges after the closure. It  certainly won’t be tempted back by a reopened bridge with a £3 toll as it’s already made changes to avoid the area altogether.  Indeed anybody financing this scheme would look at the clearest measure of unmet demand, excess traffic on neighbouring bridges, and conclude it was low and with it the expectation of any profit. In fact every year of closure means there is less profit to be had in reopening it. DfT, TfL and LBHF are all aware of this even if they don’t state it explicitly. So there’s really no point in arguing that this represents a market opportunity to rebuild the bridge at no cost to the public purse, whatever numbers you come up with. If that were possible, we would already be seeing it. The issues above just provide the explanation.

Tom Pike ● 141d

When it comes to working out the cost of financing any project similar existing schemes offer very little useful in terms of a guide. This is because the key variable of any project will be risk not issues of engineering. You have to remember that the ultimate owners of any bonds issued will only be interested in whether the yield premium adequately compensates them for their investment risk and that more money will be spent on interest expense than building this bridge.COWI is an engineering consultancy and won't be involved in how the bridge is funded. The long term cost of capital can be accurately predicted by using market rates. The other variables I used were as conservative as I could make them, for instance I assumed that a fixed toll would apply for thirty years. You might call this back of a cigarette packet but there is very little chance of the calculations being significantly inaccurate.In mentioning the M6 toll, I wasn't endorsing it as a success just pointing out that, there was potential for toll rises to be incorporated into the future funding of the bond which would mean that lower charges could be applied initially.Your figure of £3.25 is for a toll structure in which residents would be exempt which I've tried carefully to explain simply isn't an option.Ultimately, the overall structure of the funding is very simple to work out. Good cash flow over the life of the project makes it low risk and therefore low cost. The problem comes in the detail for instance who is liable if the bridge is out of action for a long period or someone blows it up. There is a very small risk of this actually happening but someone needs to take on these liabilities and I can foresee disagreements as to who it would be.

Francis Rowe ● 141d

Sorry but I don't think it is a particularly sound approach to use a completely different project in a different part of the country as template with what to do with Hammersmith Bridge. It is also an over-complication of the problem. All you need to work out is the average daily toll revenue and fine revenue needed to fund interest cost and capital repayment. Based on a set of conservative assumptions (project cost at top end of current projects, a yield premium for TfL debt and no inflation adjustment for the tolls) I came up with around £14,000 a day for the required revenue for some sort of financial instrument with a thirty year life.This means that even without taking into account fine revenue and assuming crossings collapse by more than half, you could charge £2 a time and still fund interest and capital payment.It should be noted that full capital payment isn't necessarily required, the bridge could simply be refinanced at the end of thirty years.Also remember a fixed toll is just one of the options. A structure of flexible charges based on time of day could be implemented easily and if you allowed toll increases during the term of the financing, your financing costs would fall. The M6 Toll has seen charges rise by over four times for cars yet people keep using it so we may be over-estimating price sensitivity.You keep mentioning PPP but this is confusing who does the work on the bridge, which will always be private sector with who operates the bridge, with nobody suggesting a private company for this role right now.The difficult thing isn't covering the cost, which quite clearly can be done but allocating liability including for maintenance and keeping the bridge open. Labour have recognised the broader problem of local authorities on the financial brink being responsible for the maintenance of key infrastructure so they can be expected to come up with proposals to spread the burden. What those will be and how this will impact Hammersmith Bridge is probably something that won't be resolved for a few years.

Francis Rowe ● 141d

If Francis’ speculation were correct, the toll would be the way to pay in full for restoration without needing any public funding. That would at least be consistent with the precedent that central government doesn’t pay for local roads. Indeed the A306 is by definition a local road as it is not either a national or a London strategic road, and the minister responsible described it as such four weeks ago. That then sets the simple question, is it feasible to finance the restoration solely by tolls?  At least then nobody other than those who use it will have to pay, and if they’re willing to pay enough then the bridge is restored. We can estimate the level of tolls from an existing scheme Mersey Gateway, whose £600m construction was 70% funded  by tolls. It carries around 60,000 vehicles a day and in 2019 toll and fine income was £50m, with the car toll £2 each way. That represents about 12% of the construction costs but also covers maintenance, collection of tolls and interest for 25 years. Using the £250m cost of restoration, the toll income for Hammersmith bridge  from 20,000 vehicles a day would have to £30m a year at the same 12%, or about £4 a day.  Clearly drivers are willing to pay £4 a day to use a bridge across the Mersey when the nearest untolled crossing is about 10 miles in  either direction.  How many of the 20,000 vehicles who previously used Hammersmith Bridge would pay £8 a day to avoid Chiswick or Putney bridges? If it’s 75%, then in fact the toll for those will have to be £6, or £12 a day - there’s no convergent solution. I therefore think it highly unlikely with interest rates higher than when Mersey Gateway was financed that anybody would be willing to bid to restore the bridge under a pure PPP, that is without government investment to lower the tolls. Essentially the market has already decided that there is no profit on offer to restore the bridge for free, relying on tolls for income, or they would have already made that offer; COWI are part of the Mersey Gateway consortium so can do the sums. 

Tom Pike ● 145d

I can’t claim any solid inside knowledge on what is going on here. People I have been speaking to about it are not in the room but perhaps could be said are ‘room adjacent’. What I hear is second or third hand and probably has become a bit garbled in the process.At this stage there are two paths for the bridge rebuilding to take from a legislative point of view. One would essentially make it a H&F project, one a TfL project.Initially both TfL and the council wanted to go with the former option. H&F wanted to maintain control of the bridge and TfL didn’t want to be seen as collecting tolls after the stick it took after ULEZ.For H&F it was essential that its residents were exempt and that formed the basis of the proposal. However, it looks like now it has been recognised as a non-starter because it would make funding the bridge much more difficult and the required toll higher.Also, the financial vehicle that the toll funding operation would be a part of would need an ultimate guarantor and the potential liabilities would be too great for H&F’s balance sheet.Therefore, opinion seems to be drifting towards taking responsibility and control away from H&F which means all vehicles would be subject to the toll. Toll charges now seem to have been generally accepted and they have the added advantage of being politically more palatable – i.e. it can’t be claimed that Londoners are getting preferential treatment when it comes to investment.The other issue that needs to be resolved is maintenance. If H&F doesn’t have responsibility or control of the bridge, they can’t be expected to meet the full cost of its maintenance. Labour has already recognised that there is a profound risk to national infrastructure if cash-strapped councils cut back on maintenance and it is likely to introduce a national agency to ensure this doesn’t happen and Hammersmith Bridge could come under its auspices.We can’t be sure but the failure of H&F to submit its planning application looks like an indication that it has no incentive to proceed if its residents don’t get an exemption. This doesn’t indicate that the project has stalled or even being abandoned but that the solution is evolving and it is no longer involves one third each from the council, TfL and the government which was always a nonsense.Where we are now is that DfT and TfL and (reluctantly) H&F are on board with a toll funded bridge with all vehicles charged. This can be funded in a way that doesn’t add to the national debt or interest cost for H&F rate payers. Whether H&F’s engineering solution will be adopted or whether a new plan will need to be drawn up is unclear. The main hold up to progress is likely to be the novelty and complexity of the required funding arrangements. When it gets into the nitty gritty of who pays for what and who is liable for what, the apparent consensus on the way forward may evaporate. Even if it holds, the earliest any real progress can be made on this is January 2025 which I know will frustrate many people but they should perhaps take solace in knowing that the notion that the bridge won't fully reopen is not being considered.

Francis Rowe ● 145d

"this must be a very revelation given you were earlier today arguing that the hold up was because of the financial constraints of LBHF. Or did you just make that up?"You've got confused on this point. Discussions on the broader question of how the bridge reopening is to be funded appear to be ongoing. This is a different matter to the submission of LBHF's planning application which can proceed regardless of whether or not it has been decided who will pay for it. The council do appear to have run out of funds to proceed with the planning application. "It’s certainly odd that just four weeks ago the government were saying they were still going over LBHF’s business case  that was resubmitted further third or fourth time in April."I'll agree this is odd but it looks very much like that at this point, neither TfL or the government support resident exemption so the council's plan is obsolete."Meanwhile a member of Labour’s front bench has decried that the cost of the bridge is greater than the entire transport budget for Manchester."I can't find any reference to this but wouldn't be such an oaf to accuse you of making it up. If this is what was said I presume the point was that Manchester was getting too little rather than Hammersmith was getting too much."When you state anything is 'safe to assume', it’s wiser to assume the opposite."When you stray from polite discourse into insults, it's safe to assume you are annoyed to have been informed of things that you don't want to hear but can't credibly counter.

Francis Rowe ● 146d

"a £3 toll it would still work even if you inflated the total cost to £240million."So why was LBHF claiming that £3 was the toll when it was going to cost £141m at lower interest rates back in 2021? Admittedly, they were then claiming it might reopen in 2022!A £5 toll now based on £3 in 2021 is a very reasonable projection, but it would indeed be a nonsense to charge at that value as demand would collapse. It's now really difficult to see a toll model financing LBHF's share so effectively this puts it back to central government for it all. ULEZ won't help as the finance agreement between TfL and central government factors in the ULEZ income in reducing the COVID recovery payments.It's possible that the permanent closure to cars will be officially stated in March as the support is formally withdraw, or maybe when the stabilisation is complete with the roadway reopened to bikes but we may still see performative statements up to the election. But those who think there's still a realistic chance of a car ever crossing Hammersmith bridge have not been paying attention!It is also possible that the subsurface investigations, that have drilled down up to 50 m, might have identified a predictable issue. The towers were built on the original 1824 foundations. If a temporary truss bridge were installed, those foundations, put in 200 years ago, would have to support the mass of two bridges at once, the current suspension and the temporary truss bridge. I'm not sure how far it is possible to constrain the risk that those foundations will fail or be seriously damaged, or what the current investigations have found.  But this might provide a politically useful excuse to announce the inevitable.

Tom Pike ● 147d