Forum Topic

Thank you for precisely demonstrating my point that you obsessively think that everyone who disagrees with you is part of some fiendish plot.I am not arguing against your point of view that dwell times and footfall may increase in fact the other markets give every indication that this is what is happening and there is a developing consensus that they are a good thing.The food market is clearly different as it presents a more direct competition to more businesses. It may be that your contention on the extra footfall being brought in will be proved correct and the size of the cake gets bigger so everyone benefits. The wise decision of the Licensing Panel to give the market a try so that this theory can be tested means we will have evidence on which to base a decision. Where we differ is that you think you and Richard Johnson should decide on whether the market has been a success and I, and the vast majority of others who have taken an interest in this matter, believe that local businesses should have the final say. The justification for these markets is that they benefit local trade and that is the test they need to pass to be allowed to continue. The three that we have appear to have done so but the voice of those whose livelihoods are most directly affected by the Street Food market should determine its future. That's the simple and unsubtle reason why I thought Mr Johnson was unwise to give pitches to stalls to operations directly competing with existing bricks and mortar businesses.

Jeremy Parkinson ● 199d

I thought the original argument about why the market wasn't a threat to cafes in the area was that people would buy food from the market but stick around to have a coffee later. Certainly this seemed to be the view of a couple of cafe owners who were relaxed about the market coming to Chiswick. As I have said, I don't know if their experience on the day has changed their view but if some stalls were also selling hot drinks, rather than cans of pop, as well as there being a coffee stall then the net benefit of the increased footfall in the areas is likely to have been much less than anticipated.Chateau, because of its excellent cakes and pastries, is generally busy and would have been exceptionally so given the weather last Sunday on its pavement tables with or without the market. That it was close to business as usual is hardly a clincher that the market was to its benefit. I would tend to believe what a business owner is telling me about how they are being impacted.You make a fair point about certain types of food not being welcome in cafes and you are right that I know little about this industry. What I was trying to do was reinforce the point that you and others had previously made that the market would boost the turnover of other hospitality businesses. As the main drawback most people reported about the food market was a lack of places to sit, this seemed to me a possible solution and it would be more so if a future market isn't blessed with the kind of good weather we saw this month. I have to admit your objections to the notion have some validity.I think most people would understand why there would be potential confusion between you and Maggie. You are two sides of the same coin, obsessive about a single issue, unwilling to listen to counter arguments, endlessly repeating the same points, incapable of accepting any nuance and totally convinced that anyone who doesn't whole heartedly agree with you is plotting against you. Case in point - I have never made any arguments against the market but you have interpreted my suggestion that allowing stalls that offered like for like products with nearby bricks and mortar businesses as an attempt to undermine it rather than a gentle nudge that a more considered approach would increase the chance of licence renewal.

Jeremy Parkinson ● 202d

Many of the stall operators were selling drinks. I have to assume that not only did you not visit this market but that you have never been to a street food market. I think you have overlooked the high probability that you are in a very small minority of people who would have expected vendors at a street food market to not be selling drinks or other items that could be purchased elsewhere in Chiswick. A bit like flowers, cheese and antiques eh?The principal objector to the market opposes it precisely because she does not want people buying food from the market and just drinks from her. As it happens Chateau was very busy with people eating her food. Which cafes exactly do you believe would welcome people sitting inside their premises eating a keema naan  or some loaded fries because they bought a bottle of sparkling water or a flat white from them? Tamp? Rock and Rose? Waft? Beehive? Urban Pantry? They don't serve food and would be content with people filling up their covers who will not be buying food from them? As I said there is a reason people with expertise, experience and a pragmatic can-do attitude create and run enterprises while armchair critics pontificate and contribute nothing.  You are confusing me with Maggie in accusing me of paranoia about a secret cabal and also absolving yourself of personal responsibility for the flimsiness of your poorly conceived arguments against the market. Try to think them through before you post. The solution to people wanting seating to enjoy their purchases is the one that the organisers want to implement - having seats at the market. I am sure they know that proposing to local business owners that they give up their seating to market customers would be both impractical to actually implement and make them instantly unpopular.

Paul Campbell ● 203d