Forum Topic

Barnes Bugle Poll on Hammersmith Bridge

There has been some discussion of late about whether opinion is shifting on the issue of reopening of Hammersmith Bridge.The Barnes Bugle which is a community newsletter for the area conducted a poll recently asking people for their views. Barnes is the one area where you might expect a higher proportion of people to be okay with continued closure as many roads there which were heavily trafficked are now relatively quiet.The outcome was that 74% supported a full reopening with two thirds backing the Foster/Cowi double decker plan and 7% a complete rebuild of the bridge.People who aren't happy with this outcome will say that it is 'self-selecting' and only 361 people responded which means that some organised manipulation wouldn't have been difficult to achieve. However the Barnes Bugle seems to bend over backwards to be neutral on this issue and they probably can be trusted to have done all that was possible to ensure their poll was a fair reflection of local views.This confirms the idea that there has been no shift on public opinion on this issue because elected politicians from all parties in affected constituencies remain committed to full reopening.Of course that doesn't mean the bridge will actually reopen. The planning application by H&F doesn't seem to have been submitted yet despite them claiming they were about to do so and there simply may not be the money in a financially challenged economy like ours.

Jeremy Parkinson ● 349d49 Comments

Tom, you are really disappearing down a dystopian hole here. So COVID lockdowns reduce traffic. Hmm, of course they do. You advocating permanent lockdowns?Overall traffic volumes in London DID NOT fall when the Hammersmith flyover was closed. So what we saw was local disruption of traffic patterns. I think we are at the basic roads attract/ stimulate traffic argument. To some degree that is true, though its also a product of a modern affluent society that people choose to make lots of trips. One option, which the govnt seems to be trying, is to make people poorer. The other as you support is to make journeys harder. Though this is not official policy and is not in the govnt manifesto. There is also a question for the UK, with its appalling productivity, with transport a factor, how much harder we really want to make it for individuals and especially business to get around.One option is better alternatives, which is where we fundamentally disagree. You and Michael focus on one means of transport, one not suitable for many jobs and certain demographics. The govnt continues to price people off public transport. I would also highlight that the adovates such as yourself are not impacted by the closures and dont suffer any displacement of traffic. I noted that delays had increased on the A4 flyover and I am sure other routes. You selectively look at certain routes to make your argument. Its not clear what dates are shown for 2022, it doesnt appear to be the full year, and H1 2022 still saw some COVID impacts.Anyway, the same old argument again. Cycling good, everything else bad. Close roads the advocates dont need.

Bill George ● 344d

So Tom and Michael.You are claiming that there is something unique about closing a bridge that reduces traffic? In which case should we close all bridges or just the ones in leafy suburbs that you like to walk or cycle over? Does it also apply to Hammersmith flyover or is that the wrong type of bridge?Of course, a coherent analysis would look at a range of factors. Remember, a lot of people dont 'need' to cross a bridge, although plenty do (to reach schools, hospitals etc.) Hence the unsurprising conclusion from the Bugle poll that locals still want the bridge reopening. I notice this is a poll that you dont comment on, presumably the wrong type of poll.Looking at the link from Tom, it shows for example on teh A4 over the Hammersmith flyover, delays increased in 2022 vs 2021 and 2020. There is no data for 2019. A lot of distribution routes will change so that they dont need to cross the river but are served from north or south. Similarly work and leisure/ shopping travel patterns may similarly adapt. Bridges are not entirely interchangeable in that regard. Remember also that in many cases, Chiswick bridge a good example, the actual bottlenecks are not the bridge themselves but approach roads. Numerous times I have crossed Chiswick bridge and its almost traffic free, whilst approaches on the south circular and Lower Richmond Road are heavily congested.I havent been through all the methodologies, it seems some rely on actual automatic counts and others extrapolations, so there may be differences in measurements. Then yes travel patterns have changed and we have COVID still impacting some of 2022. Bottom line though is I suspect changing travel patterns and congestion on approaches, that in turn reinforce changes. THere are too many vehicles in London and too much air pollution, I think most agree. But random road and bridge closures are not the answer, no matter how many times you post or distort.

Bill George ● 344d