Forum Topic

"It is blatant discrimination for this council not to provide a choice of ways to pay to park your car in this borough, other councils do it..."Last week I went to funeral in Cheddar (Somerset) and the car park there required either a mobile phone app or the right collection of coins, neither of which I had, so I had to walk along the road to the nearest shop and buy something with a note to get me the change I needed, hoping that a warden wouldn't happen by in the meantime. So it is not just LB Hounslow making life difficult for those who prefer to pay for parking by credit (or debit) card. My other beef is where there is an issue on a website and when you try to phone up to sort it out you get what seems like about five minutes of robot voice telling you that you can do whatever it is you need to do on the website. Yesterday I was trying to download my monthly credit card statement and the screen message was telling the blatant lie that there had been no transactions in the month and the account was inactive, so I rang and went through the usual robot nonsense before finally getting a human being who said sorry, try again later. I suggested that it might be helpful if the website message was more accurate and said something like "statement not yet ready" if that was the case.I don't know whether these robot voices are out to soften us up for the eventual takeover by AI (perhaps MCB News could tell us ?) but if so, they are not doing a very good job of it.

Richard Greenhough ● 356d

I'll ignore another of Janice's loopy comments.Colin - I agree with you up to a point, I too can just about cope with a desktop, online banking etc. But I do not want a bloody mobile 'phone and I resent the council deciding that parking has to be digital, I hate with a passion self service tills in supermarkets, and anything at all that has to do with a bloody App! I do like to think my brain is still reasonably sharp and I am active in the community, and engaged, definitely where politics is concerned. What I do think is that this constant takeover by machine is leading to more and more older people - especially those who live alone - being more and more isolated and of course that affects their mental health. Humans are social beings , we need contact with others - even if it is only a chat at the supermarket till. It is blatant discrimination for this council not to provide a choice of ways to pay to park your car in this borough, other councils do it, and all that claptrap about machines being vandalised is just an excuse. As for this farce of having to show I.D. to vote, there were 7 allegations regarding fraud at the last election resulting in zero action, this is just the Tories 'gaming' the system - similar to the re-drawing of parliamentary boundaries. I have doubts about the Labour party, in fact locally I despair, but all that notwithstanding we cannot afford another term of Tories running (not running) this country. 13 years, and look where we are, I suggest we all get a copy of Anthony Seldon's new book about one Boris Johnson from the library, and if that doesn't convince you we've all been had by a self indulgent, lying, lazy egotist - then nothing will.

Vanessa Smith ● 357d