Forum Topic

I have been looking for the right pet for about 4 years.  At first I was just looking for a cat (I had my last 22 years)  You would think that would be an excellent reference for any cat charity but Battersea turned me down for a kitten because they said it would be too disruptive for the cat next door!  I then decided to look for a cat or dog, I have owned both and I am a bit of a savaunt with animals as I love them all. Only 1 of the UK animal charities took me on Mayhew.  But they have fewer dogs coming through than others and most are too large or have too many issues.  I have applied for deaf dogs blind dogs 3 legged ones 2 legged ones etc but got nowhere.  SO I researched animal charities abroad that had bases and people here and I applied to one and I am waiting for the appropriate pup. I believe a lot of the ignorance around disability out there is why I have been turned down.  I have spoken to many disabled people who have had the same reaction "why don't you apply for an assistance dog".  They don't know it is a 5 year wait right now and it is quicker to get a rescue dog and have the special training seperately via an assistance charity.  People have been turned down because of their age the fact they live in a flat, even ground floor with garden.  That leads them to buy a puppy from a dodgy breader or farmer and find they have thousands of pounds to pay in vet bills due to the state of terrible health these poor aniumals are in.  Then they want to give them to charities some of which charge them for it.  That's when they get left on the street and the charities have to house them for free.  There is no quick fix for this but some common sense and proper national dog registration would make a big difference. Some food banks are also taking pet food thereby ensuring pets are kept by their owners going through hard times.  More of this would mean charities will see less abandoned pets.  In the meantime keep your eyes open for a new charity matching people who want to enjoy the company of a dog but can't get one with people who are elderly or disabled and need their dog walked or trained.  If you are interested or know of someone who is give them my details.

Caroline Carney ● 410d