Forum Topic

I'll start off by saying that I take statistics from a politician with a very large pinch of salt. And if that politician is a Tory, then the pinch becomes a shovelful. Cllr Biddolph's party gave us the "however many millions" to be given to the NHS instead than to the EU, and more. So, no, dear Councillor, I don't trust any of your numbers.Having said that, I was in Annecy over the weekend. We drove a rental from Switzerland there and we found ourselves in need of dumping said rental somewhere as life's too short to drive into cities that clearly weren't designed for cars. Well, wouldn't you have guessed it, they have UNDERGROUND CAR PARKS THERE! There were two I could choose between. One in Rue Carnot, the other by the train station. Both, indeed, hidden from view underground, so that what lay above could be dedicated to more pleasant things such as benches, coffee shops, green spaces where dogs dumped their excrement and their owners forgot to pick them up (it's France afterall!) and so on. Oh, I should add they were well lit, protected from the elements, had proper lifts in function and were totally step free. Unlike ANY of the stations in W4 proper I should add. Now, why doesn't the Councillor advocate for something of that kind, instead of the usual reactionary propaganda? Travel to Europe, Councillor. Every small town has an underground car park and thus has freed up public spaces for, well, public use. Are we inferior? Are we incapable of doing anything of that kind?

Francis Sheehan ● 423d

I've not heard of any proposal to reduce parking spaces in the Old Market Place area but Cllr Biddolph may be referring to the likely loss relating to the development at the police station.As far as I am aware, the council recognises the value of parking spaces to local retailers and tries to replace them when they have been lost although if 14 are going this will be challenging.Although the analysis is interesting, the attempt to put a precise number on spend per visiter is spurious. In this case the average is distorted by a single driver who spent more than everyone else put together. However, unless proved otherwise, it is reasonable to assume that people who drive to the shops are spending more than those at don't simply because they will tend to include those purchasing more than is easily carried. You just need to consider your own behaviour when shopping to confirm this.Where the analysis does provide data which looks reasonably statistically robust is the proportion of out of town shoppers which is shown to be very high. This undermines the argument that discouraging parking in town centres will help reduce short car trips. It's main effect would be to make people who might have come to Chiswick go elsewhere probably driving further in the process.My suggestion for dealing with the problem would be an extension of the parking time limit at the Sainsbury's car park to three hours. Cllr Biddolph encountered shoppers who had parked there up to the limit and then moved and I think this is not unusual behaviour.A limit of three hours would allow for someone from outside the area to do some shopping around Chiswick, get a spot of lunch and do the big shop at Sainsbury's. This would also mean that vehicles approaching the north aren't adding to the congestion on the High Road.

Francis Rowe ● 424d

Hi Ed,It was a quiet Saturday - as stated in the article and in the original press release. It was half term (when many families go away) and during the rugby (with many people watching indoors).  You are right about the hours and capacity. Two hours isn't all day and capacity is different depending on several variables. I've had an email from a resident of another part of the borough who sometimes comes to the comedy or music club at the George IV who needs nearby parking as his wife is disabled. He says if he couldn't park in that car park, having to drop off his wife then find a space in a side road is the kind of irritation that might deter them from coming here. He adds that the spaces tend to be pretty full on the nights these shows are on. So, the car park has a longer spending day than I allowed for in my calculation.  Even if it's not full in the evening, it is still productive beyond the hours I allowed for.  Perhaps that balances the inadequacies of using a snapshot view of two hours on a quiet Saturday.  I found the range of purchases very interesting. It didn't include anyone buying a heavy/bulky painting or fragile piece of art from a gallery; or a kitchen, not just the appliances; or soft furnishings, whether for one room or a whole flat or house; or, indeed, visited an estate agent and bought a flat or a house. Taking an imaginary walk along Chiswick High Road for a reasonable distance from the car park shows what else might have been bought, from low value to high. The point is, each space has a significant economic value to our local retail and hospitality, service and leisure economy.  I'd never describe any benefit, or loss, to them as negligible.  It also has a value to Hounslow. The last driver who spoke to me laughed out loud when I told him I was calculating the car park's value to Hounslow.  He had been a parking enforcement officer in Chiswick for 14 years and said he knew exactly how valuable this car park is to Hounslow’s budget.  He said in one year it was the highest revenue car park in the country and Google proves him right: [https://www.hammersmithtoday.co.uk/#!pages/chiswickw4:info:conparking093]Importantly, Chiswick isn't an NCP style shopping centre. The variety here is different and exceptional; it attracts customers from well beyond our boundaries. I'd like to keep it that way and, for many, that means making parking easy.

Joanna Biddolph ● 424d

Nothing was made up.  I asked drivers - as they were leaving the car park - what they had spent.  I was not interested in what they might spend when parked somewhere else in Chiswick (though several were on their way to Sainsbury's to do a big shop and others were driving to park on other roads to carry on shopping).  I made it very clear I only wanted to know what they had spent while parked in the car park. Unfortunately, the article included the words "Based on what they told her about their spending intentions" which was incorrect and, immediately after reading the article, I emailed the editor asking if it could be changed.  My exact words to the editor were, "Publishing intentions would be inadequate and not a robust argument.  Would you be able to change this?"  That was at 11.56am, hours before the first comment was posted in this thread.  I hope that it might be corrected before the article appears on the website as it is inaccurate and misleading. For clarity, this is what I sent to the editor originally: SURVEY SHOWS CHISWICK’S CENTRAL CAR PARK IS WORTH £268 PER CAR TO THE LOCAL ECONOMYDrivers using Chiswick’s central car park on Chiswick High Road spend an average of £268 per car, according to a survey carried out by a local councillor earlier this month. The survey highlights the value of Chiswick’s central car park to the local economy.Carried out on a quiet Saturday afternoon during half term, the survey involved interviewing 46 drivers using the car park over two hours. Drivers and their passengers spent between £1.50 to over £6,500 on a variety of products from stationery to kitchen equipment. Most of those interviewed came from outside Chiswick – from Acton and Brentford to as far away as Ashford and Buckinghamshire. Only eight of the 46 drivers were from within Chiswick.Councillor Joanna Biddolph, who carried out the survey, has been asking for an assessment of the impact on the local economy of proposals to remove 14 parking spaces from the car park. After fears the assessment may never be carried out by Hounslow council, the local Chiswick Gunnersbury councillor decided to do the research herself.For two hours, from 13.50 to 15.50, on Saturday, 11th February, Jo interviewed 46 drivers as they left the car park. It was half term when many Chiswick residents go away, and during the Ireland v France rugby game with many watching indoors, so Chiswick was much less busy than usual. Parking enforcement officers were on strike and it was notable that several drivers parked for longer than the maximum two hours, knowing they wouldn’t be fined.  The result was a lower turnover of spaces and, therefore, a lower spend per hour. “From just two hours on a quiet Saturday, it is clear how important to the local economy these parking spaces are – because our shopping choice is exceptional,” said Jo Biddolph, Conservative councillor for Chiswick Gunnersbury. “Traders who I have told about the potential loss of 14 spaces are horrified and extremely critical of the council for considering yet another anti-business policy. Losing these spaces would mean losing a massive £15,008 a day minimum. It is incumbent on all councillors and officers to incentivise traders and their customers to do business in Chiswick, not drive them away from our town by not enabling driving and parking in our town.”Notes to editorsA chart showing who spent what is below.**  There are 50 spaces in the car park. If every space is filled for the maximum two hours, that is 200 drivers in an eight-hour day, spending an average £268 each, or £53,600 a day. On the day of the survey, many drivers parked for less than two hours, so typical spending per day could be higher.**  The value of the 14 spaces at risk of being removed is £15,008 a day.**  The 14 spaces flood and need drainage, not removal.

Joanna Biddolph ● 425d