Forum Topic

Well Paul you need to ask yourself if you shouldn't add your name to the people you listed  being  against safer streets as you don't think death by dangerous cycling is worth comment.Whilst on the subject, let me ask you again why did you think it clever to include people suffering from dementia or other forms of mental  illness on the list? When I last asked all I ( eventually) got were weasel words sputtering some sort of justification.Topic:Re:Re:ReplyPosted by:Paul CampbellDate/Time:13/10/22 21:05:00That's a description of entitlement and it is undoubtedly one of the reasons for the minority of people being persistent and long-term opponents of safer streets. But there are loads of other reasons. Almost as many as there are other genuine active members of OneChiswick:Car addictionCar fetishisationDeep-seated grudges and grievances against the Council or other authoritiesNPD - can't stand losing against perceived inferiorsIrrational fear or hatred of cyclistsStupidityAnnoyance at smugness of people like me who support and enjoy the changes and take pleasure in saying soPoliticsFear of changeReactionary conservatismLazinessActual genuine car dependency and fear (mainly stoked by the opponents of changes) that actual genuine freedoms rather than privileges are going to be taken awayPathological need to argue with people on the internetDementiaOther forms of mental illnessPersecution complexesDesire to deny others the privileges they themselves enjoyLibertarianism (overlapping with other reasons in this list)Genuine concerns for personal safetyFear of lack of competence in driving and causing danger to othersCager syndromeMGIF syndromePsycopathySuperiority complexExceptionalismI could go on as this is definitely not an exhaustive list. But I'm sure many of the opponents of safer streets will find something here that they can identify with. And diagnosing the problem is the first step in healing. Not for the psychopaths though - lock 'em up!

Adrian Irving ● 401d

"Cyclists could face speed limits and may need number plates, reports sayThe transport secretary told the Daily Mail that we should not "turn a blind eye" to cyclists who break road laws, speed and "bust red lights" and "get away with it".Cyclists could face 20mph speed limits and may need number plates, after Transport Secretary Grant Shapps flagged a shake-up in road laws.Less than a fortnight after vowing to create a "death by dangerous cycling" law that will treat killer cyclists the same as motorists, Mr Shapps said he wanted to stop certain behaviour on the roads.He told the Daily Mail: "Somewhere where cyclists are actually not breaking the law is when they speed, and that cannot be right, so I absolutely propose extending speed limit restrictions to cyclists."Particularly where you've got 20mph limits on increasing numbers of roads, cyclists can easily exceed those, so I want to make speed limits apply to cyclists."That obviously does then lead you into the question of: 'Well, how are you going to recognise the cyclist? Do you need registration plates and insurance? And that sort of thing," he told the paper.Mr Shapps said he is proposing that there should be a review on how to track cyclists who break the law.The Highway Code and Road Traffic Act speeding limits only apply to motor vehicles and their drivers. While local authorities can impose speed limits on cyclists, it has been rarely done.'Death by dangerous cycling' law proposed to close legal loophole that caps jail time at two years.The Department for Transport refused to provide comment to the PA news agency on Mr Shapps' interview.Department officials did acknowledge to the Mail the flagged measures would require cyclists to have number plates or other identification markings for enforcement purposes. "

Adrian Irving ● 401d