Forum Topic

The war on cars …

https://thecritic.co.uk/the-war-on-cars/All across the UK, a war is being waged against car drivers. Matters became worse last week when new research emerged, appearing to support Low Traffic Neighbourhoods (LTNs).The Guardian called it “the most comprehensive study yet of such schemes in the UK”. It soon received praise from Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London, and his Walking and Cycling Commissioner, as well as activists, who used it to conclude that LTNs are a roaring success.You didn’t need a statistics degree, though, to immediately spot that there were a few “issues” with this much-celebrated investigation. For starters, it had been funded by an organisation called Possible – “a UK based climate charity working towards a zero carbon society” – which has held events to encourage people to go “car free”. It is hardly the natural adjudicator one would hope for.Then there were the researchers, from the University of Westminster’s Active Travel Academy. According to its website, this academy (that no one’s ever heard of), wants to “address the acute global problems that car dominated transport systems have created.” So that’s two opinionated guides to the data.The data, itself, raises eyebrows. Researchers reviewed data from schemes “introduced between May 2020 and May 2021”. Although they reassure that the study has been “adjusted to account for Covid-era and other longer-term and seasonal changes”, it is an odd selection, given that traffic was in no way normal for parts of those years due to Covid lockdowns. Another issue with the research is that, for all the claims of being comprehensive, it was collected from less than half of the 96 LTNs installed in London between these two dates.Anyone with a basic understanding in statistics can see that everything about this “study” — from the flawed methodology, to its partisan commissioner and researchers, to the journalists who bigged up its results (one of whom, The Guardian’s political correspondent, Peter Walker, has written a book titled How Cycling Can Save the World), to the Mayor and his “czar” doing the same – stinks.It is, in fact, part of a much broader movement taking place across the country, in which elected bureaucrats, supported by a “Lycra Lobby” of cycling activists and eco wonks, are doing everything they can to end car use. Their tactics include cherry picking data, abusing democracy and smearing their opponents. Walker, for instance, recently wrote an article in The Guardian, in which he said “people objecting to traffic restrictions can easily become exposed to much murkier ideas”, implying that these include “alarmist conspiracies, often overlapping with antisemitic ideas of the New World Order and all-powerful “globalists”.” He and others get away with their militant anti-car campaigning because a large section of those in the upper echelons of power — from the media, to other politicians to the financially better-off — are on board, or complacent, perhaps because they don’t need to drive to work.As a journalist, I should explain that I am not some sort of “car fanatic”, as some have implied when I have have criticised anti-traffic schemes (as well as suggesting I am an “WEF conspiracy theorist”). I don’t drive, enjoy cycling and probably have a relatively low carbon footprint, having not eaten meat for over 20 years. I came into this political area after a chance meeting with a delivery driver in 2020, who complained to me about the issues he was having conducting his business, due to increasing anti-car measures under Khan. I felt for him and said I’d look into it. I did, interviewing local tradesmen — and they were mostly men — to find out their views. Their frustration, and financial losses, were palpable.Since 2020, things have become much worse for these tradersSince 2020, things have become much worse for these traders, with councils across the UK stepping up their efforts to ban cars, increasing anti-traffic schemes, including ULEZ (Ultra-Low Emission Zones), in spite of people continuing to make their objections known. Opponents of traffic reduction schemes are not conspiracy theorists or worse — self-employed couriers/ plumbers/ decorators, for instance, are some of the biggest economic victims, losing money each day because LTNs elongate their journeys, reducing the number of jobs they can carry out. Some traders have spent lots of money on upgrading their car to electric to be ULEZ compliant, only to find out that the car is now simply banned from certain routes. There’s also the disabled, vulnerable and elderly to consider.Drivers have turned to democratic channels in the hope that their concerns might be listened to. Recently, for instance, constituents in Haringey attended a council meeting, hoping for an exchange with the elected representatives who had installed LTNs. But the councillors called it off, blaming “disruption”, which others disputed. Often, bureaucrats — pretending to care about what locals think — launch farcical LTN consultations long after they’ve implemented them. The LTN resistance cannot win, not least because they rarely have the time, platform or economic bandwidth to stop anti-democratic measures, and they are up against a wealthier elite — including wonks — that deploy biased research to gaslight them. The concerns of ordinary people are no match for the white papers and purported intellect of the Lycra Lobby.Trying to raise these concerns, which I do regularly on Twitter and in articles, has been a lonely business, namely because I am trying to convince people who don’t drive to care about cars. People should remember that this is about more than vehicles; we are seeing an assault on democracy, in which one part of the population thinks it can override the rights of others, to the point of crippling their businesses, by using a dubious moral justification; that LTNs are good for everyone. For all these claims, it was shocking to see London recently become the most congested city in the world. How did this come about? Based on recent events, don’t expect an objective analysis any time soon.

Michael Good ● 459d47 Comments

Ha ha ha. Cathcart is your name, is it not? That’s sufficient.If I’m blunt and you don’t like it, tough. You and your chums seem to think everything you say is gospel, when much of it is based on distorted or plainly invented facts. Your comment about too many cars earlier in this thread, for example. A supposition you don’t provide any evidence for. And you own a car so clearly part of your perceived ‘problem’ whenever you drive it.You seem to have trouble understanding the CPZ reference. I know you don’t have a parking space in your garden. Hence the need to park in the toad, which is a massive earner for the council. One they will miss when all private car ownership has disappeared.You clearly don’t know about the deal with Zipcar allowing it’s vehivrs to be parked anywhere. Not just in a specified bay. If demand for them increases you can bet your bottom dollar that the number of such vehicles will increase until those private cars are simply replaced with rental ones.You ought to read my post better. Concrete isn’t allowed on front gardens now. Hasn’t been since 2008. Surfaces need to be permeable. And if you did want to use your garden as a parking lot the council will charge you a couple of grand to drop the kerb. Fine got some, unaffordable for others.If you want to talk about concrete then perhaps wrongly pointing the finger at residents you ought to open your eyes and look at all the building work going on in Ealing, Brentford and elsewhere. Massive carbon footprint, which the councils conveniently omit from their carbon neutral balance sheets. Hounslow was taken to task over this by the local Greens but dodged the issue. Add in the emissions from the (diesel powered vehicles) transporting the materials to and fro, the on-site plant and the very nasty particulates from demolition and its pollution central. Oh, and they like to pull down the odd mature tree while they are at it, replacing them with saplings they are neglected and die rapidly.And you think you have all the answers. Hilarious. Cathcart for PM!

Simon Hayes ● 457d

SH: "Oh, so you have a private parking space rented from the council? You obviously don’t understand CPZs then. They are designed to stop non residents from parking in your road."RC: I wasnt talking about CPZ's, I was responding specifically to your comments on paved-over front gardens.As for non-residents, when I was visited by a tradesman the other day,l I paid the Council £1.10(?) so he could park for a couple of hours - job done! SH: "Of course, Ealing Council are so desperate to reduce car use they’ve struck a deal with Zipcar to allow its vehicles to be parked anywhere in the borough, entirely without consultation with residents."RC: If/when my old car should finally conk out, I might just use the Zipcar station near me, rather than replacing it - Win/Win!SH: "I bet your garden is lovely. I do hope you are using pest free compost on it. Otherwise you will be complicit in aiding global warming"RC: Rather less complicit than if I paved over it with concrete:"Concrete – and in particular cement, concrete’s key ingredient – is catastrophic for the environment. The cement industry alone generates 2.8bn tonnes of CO2 every year, more than any country other than China and the US – and somewhere between four and eight percent of all global man-made carbon emissions."https://www.wired.co.uk/article/concrete-carbon-capture-co2SH:"And I hope you have a sustainable watering regime. A water butt is best, attached to a downpipe to fill it up. Using a hosepipe is wasteful in our water stressed area."RC: It's not a big front garden, a watering can is quite adequate.especially since it didn't have water-hungry planting when I moved in.SH: "You do seem to get very upset about things, particularly exercised about bikes and cars."RC: Not at all "upset", merely interested. And I don't know why you assume I'm so, since I am not the one who immediately personalises every debate, as here, whenever anyone dares to contradict you. Nor do I customarily throw insults into the mix, as you do.SH: "There’s a small but very vocal minority on here you are aggressively anti anyone who disagrees with them. You know who they are, and you are one of them."RC: Care to quote me an example of where I have been "aggressive"? Or even passive-aggressive, in the way eg I do you the courtesy of addressing you as "Simon Hayes", whereas you merely use "Cathcart"?SH: "I apologise if I called you a muppet. That’s unfair on Jim Henson’s creations."RC: QED.

Richard Cathcart ● 457d

My, my, such a shouty man. Calm down or you’ll do yourself a mischief.There have been regulations in place since 2008 on materials that can be used. Small front gardens have to use permeable materials, which considerably reduces runoff.Interesting that you refer to a consultancy that is actively touting for business on its website. No conflict of interest there. It’s also eight years old. Things have changed since then, not least the RHS campaign to green up gardens which has started to reverse that trend.People don’t pave (for want of a better word) gardens because they plan to park on them. There are an awful lot of front gardens that you’d struggle to fit a Smart car on, let alone an SUV. Most people do it because they can’t be bothered with maintaining plants and cutting grass. Ironically, I know people who have ripped out the borders in their gardens and put paving down because they put bike sheds in and the plants get in the way. Oh the irony!The biggest culprits for increasing impermeable surfaces, and therefore runoff, are big property developers, aided and abetted by councils allowing them to build on flood plains and protected green areas such as Metropolitan Open Land. In Ealing the council is desperate to develop the Gurnell leisure centre site, slap bang in the middle of a flood plain for the River Brent. It says it will ‘mitigate’ flood risk, presumably by employing King Canute.Prolonged heavy rain is relatively rare in London and south east England is the driest area in the country. What we do have is poor water management and decaying infrastructure under the city. Flooding is quite unusual here, the odd burst water main aside, but better maintenance of the drains would alleviate a lot of the problems associated with it. You may not have noticed they are also building a super sewer along the Thames to cope with excessive discharge.I wonder what your front garden is like? Presumably a veritable Eden.

Simon Hayes ● 457d

You assert that factors leading to flooding in London include poor maintenance of drains; concrete disposal by contractors; building on flood plains; and Thames Water's negligence etc. I daresay all of these are correct.But you go on to claim: " Only an idiot would think there’s a direct correlation between [the paving over of gardens] and flooding."That is the exact opposite of what those "idiots" [sic] at flood risk consultants UNDA and the RHS have found.In UNDA's report entitled "Paving gardens to driveways – the hidden urban flood risk?", they point out the following.1. (Per RHS) Britain now has three times as many front gardens completely paved over compared to a decade ago;2. (Per Nationwide BS) "“if you want to add value in an area where parking is at a premium, then it is concrete every time. You may need planning permission, and may have to spend £10-£20,000, but added value could be £50,000 in an expensive urban location”;3. Paving increases the risk of flash flooding – instead of grass and soil soaking up the rain, it runs straight off paving and overwhelms drainage systems and floods roads;4. The RHS has called on householders to turn away from gravel, paving and concrete, now used in almost a quarter of British front gardens and amounting to 4.5m UK homes;5. Londoners [are] the worst culprits for paving over their front gardens, with half paved over, up 36% in a decade;The full "Idiots' Guide" is to be found here:https://www.unda.co.uk/news/paving-gardens-to-driveways-the-hidden-urban-flood-risk/

Richard Cathcart ● 457d

PS That’s somewhat harsh on Charlotte, although I’m not surprised Bio here -https://charlottegilljournalist.wordpress.com/about-me/I am a 31-year-old journalist, who has contributed opinion pieces to The Times, The Mail on Sunday, The Telegraph, The Independent and The Guardian, among other publications.I am accepting commissions across a number of areas, such as:Ghost writingCorporate communicationsManaging social mediaSpeech writingIf you wish to discuss a commission with me, please use my contact form. The topics I write about most are: psychology, justice and feminism. Here is my portfolio:The Mail on Sunday:Why are feminists not standing up for mothers? How breastfeeding and struggling to balance work and kids is now being neglected and their voices are not being heardWhy DO so many young people sneer at Britain? CHARLOTTE GILL on how millennials are losing their sense of patriotism amid Novichok falloutAs one orders students to replace clapping with ‘jazz hands’ and another offers tips on prostitution…Our universities are turning into religious cults which damage students and threaten societyThe Times:Serena has joined the Me Too victims’ cultScience says men and women are different, but feminists won’t listenGirls don’t need to be told what they want to studyPublicly shaming offensive students is cruel and unjustThis McCarthyite campaign against men goes too farAfter Weinstein, men are victims of trial by internetWhy I wouldn’t sit in a women only train carriageBody positive narcissism does women no favoursAttacking boots on the morning pill price isn’t feminismThe prospect of a feminist Bond girl is a step too farCorbyn’s promises to under 25s are nothing but a conThe Times 2Why do we think it’s ok to be mean about men?He tried to scuttle out of my flat on Sunday morningThe SunIt’s doing more harm than good: why the Duchess of Cambridge is wrong to say we should talk to kids about their mental healthThe SpectatorFeminism’s obsession with equality sells women shortIf it takes a credit card to live like Kim Kardashian, then so be itForget the ‘nasty party’, Theresa May has turned the Tories into the zombie partyThe last thing Brexit needs is support from an ageing Sex PistolEmma Watson’s ‘have your cake and eat it’ feminism is hard to swallowPETA’s Warhammer ban reveals the hypocrisy of its fake fur policyBritain’s spy agencies could do with a woman’s touchChristmas carols and the sorry state of British singingThe fashion world had no moral compass – until Melania Trump came alongThe animal rights revolution is comingForget ‘soft’ feminism. I want my feminism ‘hard’The truth? Most women can’t ‘have it all’Young people’s ‘yolo’ spending is a symptom of a much bigger problemBureaucracy is destroying the fabric of London’s nightlifeWedding rings should be kept away from the OlympicsPokemon Go is a symbol of Generation Y’s worst traitWhy Hillary Clinton’s mix of celebrities and politics could backfireThe show’s over for the Women’s Equality PartyThese celebrity lectures about Brexit are the absolute pitsIn defence of baby CyanideThe TelegraphLeft-wing hysteria over period poverty means we’re ignoring the women who really need help I’m no snowflake, but we all need to admit that gender is a complicated thingTheresa May needs to embrace her inner psychopathLondon’s crime is out of control – and it’s strategy, not police cuts, that are to blameHarvey Weinstein shows how the chilling power of social consensus can turn any of us into an accompliceDon’t let politics ruin your relationships – of course you can love a LeftieWe’ve reached a tipping point of stinginess. Good service deserves more than a smileBoo to the puritans – let’s hear it for Theresa May’s leather trousersI hide behind lamp posts to avoid my MP Jeremy Corbyn, but I’m still proud to live in Islington The Left wails about ‘post-truth’ politics – but it’s quite happy to wallow in themDisgusted by incest? Genetic Sexual Attraction is real and on the riseAnxiety fuels girls’ GCSE success but it can be their Achilles’ heel in the workplaceLads! Britain needs you to do your duty and get flirtingWake up, London! Why the capital’s clubs must stay open longerI’ve also been in Prospect, Spectator Health, Spectator Life, The Guardian, The Independent

Michael Good ● 459d