Forum Topic

Another Tom Pike lie - it’s probably less than 1000 cyclists a day on C9, not the 3000 he claims

At the Chiswick Area Forum on 22 November, ‘Professor’ Tom Pike said the following (see LB Hounslow YouTube site if you want to see it) “we shouldn’t have an argument about the facts. We also shouldn’t have an argument about how many cyclists are on C9”. (He pointed to the fact that “we” have cameras along its length.) He then said, “It’s averaging about 3000, it peaks at 4000 a day. We should focus on the facts here, take the heat out of the argument and make judgements based on what is happening here in Chiswick.”So I checked his arguments. FOI responses from TfL (you can find them online eg FOI-1431-2122, FOI-1192-2122) show that the number of cyclists on C9 in Chiswick is measured by sensor 62 count line 22096 at Annandale Road. It counts cyclists going both ways.In the 12 months to 30 September, the average daily 24 hour count of cyclists on C9 was 1,636. Fact, Tom Pike, fact. Not 3000. I think this categorically proves you cannot trust anything Tom Pike says. And bear in mind, this is BOTH ways, so it will be double counting every cyclist who goes to/from work or school, or every Deliveroo rider returning for another collection. Looking at the data from TfL, the morning 7-10 and evening 4-7 peaks are similar at 26% of journeys. So one can reduce the “number of cyclists” by at least a quarter. In all likelihood, the number of individual cyclists using C9 on average each day is below 1000.  That makes this one expensive £10m white elephant (notwithstanding the other economic damage it has caused to Chiswick). Also, don’t trust Paul Campbell, or Michael Robinson. When asked about the number of cyclists on C9, they post a chart which doesn’t just use count line 22096 as TfL advise, but adds in 2 other cameras on Chiswick High Road (ie not the cycle lane) - it’s noted on their chart which they carefully label “Chiswick High Road”, not C9. In other words they are deliberately inflating the number (to show a 2000-2500 average) to give the impression of more cyclists on C9 than there actually are to support their failing scheme. And they know it. TfL even describes that methodology in the stated FOI requests as “problematic”. So there you have it. Not only was Pike wrong about £10m of fines in Grove Park, but he and his friends at the London Borough of Hounslow Cycling Campaign are misleading us about the number of cyclists on C9. It’s about 1000 per day. Not 3000.

Richard Tate ● 459d94 Comments

"And at the risk of you claiming I'm being mendacious I'm willing to give a weekday average count of cars of around 5000 to 6000 for the same period, though you'll probably claim that is also a deliberate lie and demand an apology for that as well!"Tom - that's a complete lie - it isn't 5000-6000 cars.Many of these so called "cars" are in fact Ubers and Black Cabs plying their trade in Chiswick and surrounding roads.  Many do multiple trips in a single day, often within the same hour.  You cannot count them as separate cars.Other "cars" belong to commuters who drive in and drive out by the same route, so you're at least double counting those.And as we well know, many cars are driven by local residents to get a coffee, a newspaper, take the dogs for a walk, drop off / pick up the kids from school and take them to clubs after school, doing the big shop at Sainsburys, dropping off a sofa or bookcase and so on. They could make 6 trips a day - which would count as 12 individual cars by your methodology, which is hopelessly flawed, and as Dickie Tatorship points out, utterly mendacious.  And whatabout the cars driven by paid actors funded by the Russians to ruin Chiswick and undermine our economic ability to support war in Ukraine?  Just because there's no evidence for them doesn't mean we shouldn't count them, does it?Rather than there being 5000-6000 individual cars, a reasonable assumption is that there are less than 300 being driven in Chiswick on any given day.Fact.

Ed Saper ● 458d

Tom, you really are one, aren’t you? Trying to obfuscate and bluster around the fact that you have been providing misleading data, rather than addressing the facts and the truth. I actually thought you had put the Oct, Nov and Dec FOI requests in to TfL, since they are all linked and the last one is a vain attempt to get them to agree to add count lines 22097 and 22082 as you did in the chart which Campbell and Robinson both posted previously, endeavouring to mislead by representing the inflated cycle count as C9. (However, I agree that it is a fair to compare the total Chiswick High Road count to earlier CHR counts, but I’m not doing that here.)You then say, “But that is no excuse for "Richard" to post an innumerate rant, halving numbers when he feels it makes his point, and making accusations of mendacity with no foundation.”First I did not “rant”. Just because you don’t like the truth doesn’t mean you should insult it’s bearer. Second, it was definitely not innumerate. The cycle count on C9 in Chiswick for 12 months to 30/9/22 averaged 1636 per day, counting both ways, east and west. That’s a fact. Involving numbers. It’s not innumerate. Do you disagree with it? My assumptions afterwards are also perfectly sensible. When I cycled to school and work I returned every day by the same route. That’s what most people do. I’m sure you’d agree.. Therefore, if one wishes to identify the number of cyclists using C9, it would be a reasonable assumption to halve the number (which would be 818 per day). (Note that is a reasonable assumption based on logic, not “halving numbers when he feels like it”, as you accuse me of doing.) Now I know that some cyclists may not go back the same way, but that will be a small minority, therefore, it is a reasonable guess that the number of individual cyclists may be around 1000. Please tell me where my facts or assumptions are wrong. You won’t as they  aren’t. Third, I have not made accusations of mendacity without foundation.  Do you deny saying C9 was being used by 3,000 cyclists a day? If you do, you should probably ask YouTube to take down the footage of you doing so. You misled (and I suspect that was deliberately so) the Chiswick Area Forum on 2 counts: a) using the word ‘cyclists’ instead of more accurately saying ‘cycle count’. b) using a figure of 3000 as an “average” and 4000 as a peak. Let me correct you.  I have provided the 12 month figure of 1636, which I believe is the best basis, since it removes seasonality. However, even if you look at only the most recent monthly data (September, a back to work month with good weather), the average is not “about 3000”, it is 2,545, and there were only 3 days in the entire month when the count was over 3000. As for a peak of 4000, that’s wrong too. It was 3,194. Even if one cherry picks the data, you were still wrong. So, far from making “accusations of mendacity with no foundation”, it is found that you did indeed mislead the entire Chiswick Area Forum with your numbers. Will you be apologising?

Richard Tate ● 459d