Forum Topic

I remember Cranks in Marshall Street next to the Baths and ate there several times when I worked around the corner. Everybody sat on long benches at long tables.  Homity pie was my favourite and there was a choice of a whole lot of salads. (So unusual then and so nice not to have to make them!)  British salad at the time otherwise was always more of a garnish with a lettuce leaf, slice or two of cucumber and a slice or two of unripe anaemic looking tomato). I must look out the recipe book although the Hairy Bikers have an interesting version.  The Dartington Cranks was still running long after the Marshall Street one had closed.  They were forerunners.  There are plenty more health food shops nowadays which sell ready made vegetarian and vegan food - and so do the supermarkets.  There are also companies which deliver recipe boxes with with all the ingredients ready for you to cook. And who hasn't eaten baked beans on toast, hummus and pitta bread, vegetable samosas, tomato and mozzarella salad or chickpea tagine pie?  I haven't given up meat but hardly miss it.  So many meat meals are now overshadowed by the vegetables when they are not overcooked. And that's how I prefer it - more vegetables and much less meat.  I'm also unhappy with the way many animals and birds raised for the table are kept. It's no longer like in children's  picture books with lovely green fields with buttercups and daisies.This month is a great time to learn or try a new meat-free recipe.  Oh and btw shepherd's pie is even better with a can of baked beans added. 

Philippa Bond ● 467d