Forum Topic

Julian Pavey explained
" Unfortuntely Rupa has said a few things in the past allso that are questionable and along the same lines but im not going to post them. You can google for it" Possibly most of these questionable things can be seen on here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupa_Huq#Racial_issues Rupa Huq's big problem, as it is for many Israeli Citizens, and concerned Jewish people throughout the world, is that she's unduly concerned with the fate of the 5 million Palestinian refugees scattered throughtout the Middle East; who it seems most people simply would rather forget
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestinian_refugee_camps As this is seen as an implicit attack on Zionism, and thus can be easily characterised by opponents as being evidence of anti-semitism. At least for the benefit of the hard of thinking . Jeremy Corbyn was a supporter of both Palestinians and of Jewish People and he *did and does* have many Jewish friends (only not Margaret Hodge) but is not a supporter of Zionism. Which got him branded as ant-semitic.
The same applies to Rupa Huq who made herself an enemy of the Zionist "Jewish Labour Movement as a result
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Labour_Movement As to her own experience of racism "In May 2018, Huq told colleagues in Westminster Hall[66] that BAME MPs regularly have their access to the House of Commons estate questioned.[67] She said: "I have been stopped more times in this place since my election in 2015, than in 43 years outside." Furthermore, Huq and fellow Labour MP Tulip Siddiq are mistaken for one another, though they do not look alike. Huq added: "I imagine most BME MPs have encountered it in some form or other."[66]" Its not really surprising to see the totally unprincipled Ramsay Starmer branding Rupa Huq as a racist without having given any indication that he'd actually acquainted himself the context of her remarks. Following his early encounter with the evangelical Peter Thompson at Oxford. Tony Blair at least had the excuse that he believed he was doing gods work (just like the Yorkshire Ripper ) whereas Starmer seems to lack principles of any kind rather than just to win elections leading a party of Tory Lites. michael adams

Michael Adams ● 575d

"Forget Charisma, Michael"
" Boris Johnson had charisma in spades."

And he still does. He was brought down by an unfortunate set of circumstances, brought about by his characteristic inattention to detail and a media stirring up a totally bogus mood of faux outrage.

John Major had minimal charisma it's true but he was handed an election victory, not only by his resorting to soapboxes but by Neil Kinnock's totally premature exultant performance at the Sheffield Rally. A mistake both Campbell and Mandleston, I assume, duly made note of at the time.

And as has been suggested elsewhere John Major was possibly among the best prime ministers the Labour Party never had. 

Blair had charisma in spades its true, and look where that got us with his divinely inspired foreign adventures. But he won how many elections ? He was possibly also shrewd enough to make everyone aware of the fact that his chosen successor was the decidely uncharismatic Gordon Brown. The safe pair of hands who along with Alastair Darling was responsible in part for saving the whole world financial system from collapse. But who nowadays cares about any of that ? Kwarteng has been quoted as lying through his teeth over the issue but nowadays who cares ? It was supposedly all Labour's fault, as ever.

Starmer's treatement of Corbyn was disgraceful IMO. Corbyn who appealed to young voters almost won a GE against May and given the left wing policies he was promoting clearly had to be stopped. By whatever means. And the rest as they say, is history.  And at least it meant the US wouldn't have had to intevene in some quiet way, as per, Suez and show the British People where power really lay. 

michael adams

Michael Adams ● 575d

To be fair to Rupa Huq, in retrospect context *is* everything; which is totally contrary to what I said before. I was badly mistaken. More especially, when potentially damaging remarks can be deliberately quoted in isolation. It seems quite plausible that she was simply over-reacting, possibly in response to goading in having to explain what she'd said - 

"“I’m sorry if I was not making myself understood clearly."

Now as we only have the two snippets, we have no way of knowing the context. Given the event, its quite conceivable that at some point the discussion at revolved around black stereotypes - or more specifically the "stereotypical black man"; and how black people may be perceived by some voters as a result. Never mind by the police. Regrettable though this all might be. Just as there are stereoypes for all types of people from footballers wives, to university professors, to old age pensioners - broad generalisations with no bassis in reality but which can affect peoples' attitudes nevertheless. If only unconsciously.
And it seems quite possible that all Rupa Huq was doing in the context of that discussion was to simply point out that Kasi Kwarteng doesn't in fact conform in any respect to the idea of a stereotypicl black man. Being an Old Etonian - another stereoptpe to which he doesn't conform, unlike say Boris, with a Cambridge Double First,  a merchant banker, and a right-wing-nut-job, with books to his name to prove it. As let's face it. only ten years ago people advocating such poilicies "were" regarded as nut jobs, whatever anyone says. And now look where we are.

So he's hardly typical of anything really. But its how he's percieved by the public and presumably voters, along other minorities which was maybe the topic under discussion.

You could say that it was very courageous of Rupa Huq to involve herself in such an event, possibly involving such sensitive topics in the first place. And that any politician, with any sense, would have avoided it like the plague.

"Ramsay Starmer" most certainly would have; and like Tony Blair before him, he'll not likely deny himself the opportunity to rid himself of a pontential future rival
with possibly more charisma  than him. i.e more than 0000.000000001 on the scale. 

michael adams

Forum Home

Michael Adams ● 575d