Forum Topic

Nobody is faking anything. You are under the misconception that a majority opinion against the cycleway should necessarily mean that it is to be scrapped. That's not how the process is meant to work - this was a scheme conceived by a democratically elected Conservative Mayor (his name escapes me), implemented by a democratically elected Labour Mayor in partnership with a democratically elected Labour council with the encouragement of democratically elected Conservative government all of whom made clear their committment to active travel and this sort of cycle infrastructure.That can't and shouldn't be wound back by a consultation which will probably only be responded to by a few thousand people and would be very easy to manipulate.If you are going to say that the cycle lane causes more congestion and pollution in the area, delays buses and holds up emergency service vehicles and that there is no convincing evidence that it has boosted cycling more than the increases seen generally in the capital, I would tend to agree with you.However, the evidence for all of this is very obfuscated by the unusual conditions that have prevailed since the cycleway was built and it will continue to be through the trial period. No individual or public body is going to be able to present a convincing, robust case based on data that the cycleway is causing harm, therefore the consultation won't lead to its removal.There is no point adopting a head in the sand approach or sulking about this inevitability. There are still improvements that could be made for instance around the bus islands. TfL will probably structure the consultation to avoid any yes/no questions about the popularity of the scheme and phrase questions with the intent of providing numbers that they can quote which indicate widespread support. If you don't like the scheme there will probably be ways that you can indicate opposition, and I wouldn't discourage you from doing that but don't expect an immediate result in your favour.

Francis Rowe ● 574d

Chris, it will take a while to get the horrible image you have conjured up out of my mind.While I agree that there is zero chance that this consultation will lead to the cycle lane being scrapped it could lead to changes being made. It remains an experimental scheme operating on a trial basis. Inertia protects it as neither TfL or Hounslow are likely to want to scrap a scheme they have invested millions of our money in and would be expensive to dismantle.It also has to be said there isn't a real killer argument against it. Lots of people will probably reply to the consultation basically saying 'I hate it, I am stuck in traffic so much more often since it was built please scrap it.' They may be correct but proving the actual impact it has had on congestion and pollution in the strange times we have had in recent years is fiendishly difficult.Other cycle lanes have been removed because of the impact they have had on bus journey times and I'm pretty sure as a regular bus user these have risen on the High Road but can I make a convincing case for that allowing for distortions such as A4 roadworks and Covid - no I can't. Perhaps the bus operators have data that shows the effects more clearly but that gets us back to the short time that local roads will be operating normally during the period of the consultation.Just because responding to the consultation isn't going to lead to a scrapping of the cycleway isn't a reason not to respond to it. There no reason by tweaks suggested by local people who are observing the operation of the cycleway won't be taken seriously by TfL.

Francis Rowe ● 575d