Forum Topic

I am originally from a country that pretty much pioneered the bikes  and (more so) the scooters. They are in every part of the town in every larger town. Everywhere. Hundreds. And they're the best thing since sliced bread! The town I'm from has free public transport, and yet the scooters are incredibly popular. I walk *a lot*, but god is it convenient to be able to grab a scooter outside your house when you're in a rush or the distances are a bit too long, and be able to just leave it when you arrive. Back home, there are areas where you can't park (red zones). I don't know what the consequence is as I've always searched for the correct spot, but I believe it's a fine. Same for driving through restricted zones I guess. I've definitely seen people do that, so to a degree the machine must work, but given that they're so far and few in between, I imagine there is something in it to deter most people. You do also have to take a photo to park it correctly, and I think you get discounts for good parking. In London, I live next to a 'bike parking site' and have so for a good few months now. What deters me from using them is not knowing if I can just leave them once I'm done, so I for one am overjoyed to see the bikes on the streets, indicating it is now possible. However, it's funny how generational divide does not know borders. I can only imagine that it's coming from the older generation who doesn't understand it, doesn't want to understand it and thinks it's got no use for them, so what do they do? Go try to complain to council or the media. Similarly, to this post, there was a media uproar about 'bikes being left everywhere' and how dangerous and what a nuisance they are. I stay in central town so as soon as I saw these articles I started to look out for whether that was actually true and it wasn't. There was the odd scooter that had fallen over (probably wind), but most were very politely parked out of the way as much as possible, and if it was a larger open space (not actual pavement!), even though it wasn't a designated parking area, other people would just follow the lead and park theirs next to an existing one. I imagine there'd be some more family-oriented areas where teenagers cause a bit more havoc, but none that I could see. Chiswick is really not known for poorly-behaving teenagers and the few bikes I've seen, I've yet to see one in the middle of the road.Maybe go try it, you might like it. I got my grandad to ride one, and he absolutely loved it and couldn't wait to tell my grandma. And unless there's 20 of them genuinely in the middle of your road home, then maybe you can learn to walk past one. And pre-empting the mobility/visually impaired argument - if they are on the side of the road, there is plenty of space to walk past! Chiswick has relatively wide pavements, the odd bike here or there is no different to a bin left out for collection or a mother with a pram stopping for something.

Keidy Pukk ● 590d

Will's suggestion is utterly daft. Something I think he knows.They will not care one whit about what problem you are having unless it has to do with their uptake in use and revenue. After that, it is free advertising if their bikes are left here, there and everywhere.What you should do Marie, is email your local councillor but more importantly, email Katherine Dunne, LBH cabinet member for transport: Katherine.Dunne@hounslow.gov.uk. I've had luck when doing so especially if you mention the threat to pedestrian safety. Often these bikes are left at or in cross walks, in the path of those with vision impairment, blocking the footpath so those using wheel chairs or pushing prams have no alternative route, etc. Her remit is the duty of care for all road and pavement users so when you point out she is derelict in her duty and it is easy to demonstrate, the bikes often get moved.To answer Anne's question, the orange bikes are gone. They were MoBikes, one of the first iterations of bike hire but they were not e-bikes rather the old-fashioned kind powered by humans. If I had to guess, DOTT bikes bought them, repainted them, rebranded them and tossed in a battery as it is the same frame. Once a Dott bike is out of the trial area (Hammersmith for sure, Ealing possibly) it gets locked down so one can't re-hire it for a return trip nor can the next user hire it for a new trip. Hence they pile up. They are heavy and slow and cumbersome. Lime Bikes are lighter and I think fit for purpose. They are can be re-hired so, as Chris says, tend to  keep moving along so are less apt to litter the streets. I'm not sure what happens if you ride them in to a no-go zone like Chiswick House grounds. Like Dott, they are technically restricted to the trial areas, but I think you see them in Chiswick because there are so many of them available plus they are easier to use. When done with your ride, you are made to take and submit a photo of where you left it which I think acts as a bit of deterrent to leaving them blocking the footpath.

David Lesniak ● 591d