Forum Topic

Yes we find it a better alternative than CHR due to not having as many intersections and traffic lights. Safer too for cycling, not being a dual lane in the middle of busy street with many intersections. I would love to see more green / a hedge alongside it, though.To the statements from the cycling lobby on here, it never ceases to amaze me how misleading they are - on purpose, or ignorance? Where is the number of vehicles in any statistics of CHR traffic? The fact that traffic lights on all crossings are forever on red (1.5min with long queue to get through the 10-20sec on green, including on Turnham Green Terrace), which means they are artificially holding vehicle numbers down to try and minimise traffic - not only it is STILL bad, but it is displacing all traffic to the A4 and other surrounding roads. TfL says A4 traffic is down, but that is because it is now gridlock there from 12-8pm each day. How is that less traffic?In summary, looking at a “ratio” is just that: a ratio. It doesn’t say anything if you are not looking at the overall capacity to transport people, in ALL methods they choose. Equally, CHR is only 1 street. Nobody has all their lives in 1 street. We all go to other streets, and we all breathe the air there - TGT is a clear example, that was made worse in order to accomodate C9T and Fishers Lane closure. All if this put in place why? So that people can cycle, which in turn is being pushed forward in the name of climate change.Climatenchange doesn’t only happen at CHR. If Goldhawk, Chiswick Lane, TGT, Acton Lane, the A4, A316, Sutton Ct Road are all gridlocked and with much worse pollution (conveniently not measured), how can this be better for the climate?A 2nd mature tree is about to be decapitated on CHR. It is 99 years old, it absorbs pollution and it contributes to making Chiswick a “leafy area”. That this tree is being killed in the name of climate change, is beyond me.Don’t be fooled, the progress of lane confiscation and road closures without offering good alternatives, will only squeeze the same amount of vehicles, including emergency vehicles, in fewer roads. Cycling is 2-20% of transport in any city, especially in large cities like London it is a small fraction. Where does the remainder 80-98% go? Where is public transport? Where are the good and efficient connections? We can bury our heads in the sand or we can try and tackle this. To look at CHR myopically and count cycles (mostly rat running through Chiswick from other boroughs) and not look at vehicle numbers or even the impact of this on King Street and the A4, plus the various cross streets, is to be either NIMBY or ignorant. I’m not sure what is worse, but perhaps a light bulb can still come one for some people. In the end we need modal shift and it has been said from everyone even the Hounslow Cabinet that modal shift hasn’t happened. They know that the Burlington traffic increase was displaced from the closures in neighbouring roads, and their (inadequate) solution is to close Burlington and Staveley - further exacerbating the problem. Ignorance or inability to tackle the real problem, which is indeed too many cars?Is anybody following car sales? Is this going down? Residential parking? % living inside an LTN who gave up their vehicles? But the Council surely likes the income from residential parking.Streetspace implemented in Chiswick hasn’t been an effective measure to tackle traffic and pollution. Hopefully soon we will have more AQ monitors around - and what a big failure that none were installed earlier.

Fabiana Eggers ● 899d

"It is great that OneChiswick has been so inept."I think history will judge OneChiswick more kindly Michael. They have achieved some great things:1. Accelerated the development and substantial further investment in the cycle lane on the High Road and its extension on King St and through the gyratory to Hammersmith Road and also from Kew Bridge through Brentford to Hounslow; every new inch built further cements its permanence. 2. Preserved TGT's rightful place in history as a prime example of what happened when humans reached peak car and equated the volume of carcinogenic fumes they breathed while shopping with success - a salutary lesson for town planners in the future. See also The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea 3. Created Dry Cleaning World on Devonshire Road; another salutary lesson 4. Fought for and won loads of taxi pick-up and drop-off points in place of car parking spaces on side streets off the High Road thus reducing the effect of induced demand of private cars for shopping in Chiswick 5. Extended the South Chiswick LTN to include the permanent closure of Burlington Lane to entry from the A316 and the extension of the Staveley Road restrictions from two hours a day to 13 hours a day 6. Elicited a letter of apology from the leader of the Council for one anonymous keen cyclist in his 70s for the uncertainty caused by his befuddlement about flying motorcycle signs and the complexity of alternative route planning and parking to avoid incurring fines; which was nice and must have made him feel that they care.So keep up the good work I say.

Paul Campbell ● 903d

Michael Robinson " And the question about how much they spent on consultants and lawyers still remains unanswered."But the point surely is that it's "their" moneywhich "they" raised in pursuit of "lawful" objectives.Which however misguided they may be according to you, they are perfectly entitled to do in a democracy. And on which basis are accountable to their subscribersalone as to how that money was spent; and providingthose subscribers are happy as to how that moneywas spent, that's really nobody else's business.Whereas CS9 is being funded solely by the taxpayer,by various means. Taxpayers such as OneChiswickwho while they may have fundamenatal objections to the scheme are being "forced" to pay for it nevertheless.All of whom have every right to hold the promoters of this scheme to account in respect of the way "their money", taxpayers money is being spent - or misspent as the case may be.It must be nice to find yourself on the side oftypical local authority bully boys, who will useevery last penny of taxpayer's money if needs be, to ensure they are afforded the best possible legal advice and representation.Whereas when a group of people feel so strongly about a possible mis-use of taxpayers money includingtheir own, that they use more of "their own money" to try and secure equivalent legal advice both for themselves, (not that there's much hope of that) and on behalf of all objectors to the scheme, rather than applaud their efforts you seek to hold them up to ridicule.michael adams     

Michael Adams ● 904d

Expect tC9 to be out of action (yet again) whilst the council rip up and reroute significant sections to correct the railroaded "design" thereby creating more delays and more expense.I often use and prefer the A4 going east,  better still along by the river. No problem.I have copied and pasted one of my previous posts which I think is relevant to this thread as well.Quote;"The council hopes that the changes made will make C9T less vulnerable to a legal challenge by the OneChiswick campaign group which argued previously that the early design significantly disadvantaged the elderly and the disabled and that the council had not fulfilled its statutory responsibilities to those groups."Firstly let me say I am not a signed up to OneChiswick however I have been dismayed by a certain faction continually making sneering comments about them.Well, if nothing else, they seem to sufficiently rattled the council's cage to instigate significant changes to tC9.Changes that were blindingly obvious from the start.ie. bus stops, left filter to Chiswick Lane etc. etc.By the way, sad it maybe, but each time I walk past CHR/CL junction I count the number of vehicles turning left against straight on. The vast majority turn left. 12 to 3 was the last count so it is no wonder it's a traffic bottleneck. Add in buses  changing drivers of course.How the council have got the cheek to say they have listened to a consolation when the truth seems to be they are running scared of their blunders being exposed by a judicial review.What's the betting they would just have left the mess they have created without an active pressure group? We can only guess.

Adrian Irving ● 904d