Forum Topic

Great that you are reading my article Justin but you have misinterpreted the figures to a comical extent.Yes, the traffic on Staveley between the A316 and Burlington did not change significantly.The traffic in Burlington between the A316 and Burlington did not change significantly.The traffic on Staveley west of the Burlington / Staveley junction decreased by about 4,600 vehicles per day.The traffic on Burlington west of the Burlington / Staveley junction increased by about 4,100 vehicles per day.Therefore a large proportion of the traffic that turned off the A316 onto Staveley, rather than going straight on Staveley as it used to, was deterred by the barrier on Staveley and took left onto Burlington Lane to reach the A4 using that route.So while navigating the barrier at the western end of Staveley was successful at preventing traffic going that route, it wasn’t sufficiently circuitous to prevent traffic coming off the A316 at Staveley and reaching the A4 via Burlington Lane.The increased traffic on Burlington Lane clearly came from the A316, not as you claim from within Grove Park.As further proof, where do you think the thousands of westbound cars on Staveley between the A316 and the junction with Burlington come from? There isn’t a single residential property east of where the the sensor was. Were these cars driven by zombies coming from the cemetery?The ANPR survey from September 2019 using a camera at the junction of the A316 and Staveley showed that 90% of traffic coming off the A316 was driving through the area to the A4 using a variety of routes. The measures achieved a slight reduction in this through traffic but displaced a proportion from the west section of Staveley to the west section of Burlington Lane.

Michael Robinson ● 895d

The entire proposal is flawed.  It is nothing to do with school safety - I support the closure to traffic during normal school start and end times.  Allegedly it is because of increased traffic along Burlington Lane between Staveley Road and the train station but the only traffic data I have seen shows that nearly all of that traffic increase is due to traffic originating in GP, ie traffic which will not be affected by the proposal.I do not believe that LBH has even considered where the traffic which will be displaced by the closure of Staveley Road and Burlington Lane turn offs from the A316 will go.  Some of that traffic may evaporate but most will not.  The traffic that is displaced would otherwise be (a) going to GP or (b) using SCR as a cut through to the A4 or (c) using SCR as a cut through into Chiswick north of the A4.  If we examine the remaining traffic routes for each of those possibilities we can quickly reach the following conclusions:(a) will go to the Hogarth Roundabout, turn onto the A4 and then turn left at the SCR junction(b) will go to the Hogarth Roundabout, turn onto the A4 and keep going(c) will go to the Hogarth Roundabout, then they have 2 options (i) turn onto A4 then right at the SCR junction or (ii) exit the Hogarth Roundabout onto Chiswick Lane.Obviously all such traffic has to use the Roundabout and depending on the amount of traffic that adds to the A316 it may struggle to cope.  Possibility (a) after the roundabout does not present any obvious concerns, cars turning left will be in the slow lane. Possibility (b) after the roundabout presents no concerns. Possibility (c)(i) is a potential safety issue if it results in cars backing up from the SCR junction waiting for the lights to go change - basically you have a traffic jam in the fast lane.  Possibility (c)(ii) is an even worse safety concern.  The junction of Chiswick Lane and the exit from the flyover is notoriously dangerous, and this will simply add more traffic to a bad junction.LBH should publish what, if any, safety assessments have been done.

Justin Stephenson ● 897d