Forum Topic

"Ed, let's not disagree over tiny or small. I see 1-2% quoted."Maggie - please don't listen to me when I tell you the number of cyclists who cycle regularly in London is around 14%, having grown 2000% in 5 years.You should distrust my motives and absolutely get your information from a source you trust.  I would suggest this is a good place to start:https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/walking-and-cycling-statistics-england-2020When you say that "Drivers freedoms are definitely being eroded", I would agree with you.It is true that drivers are being asked not to drive down minor residential roads, we are being asked to give up road space in favour of cyclists, buses and pedestrians and we've lost parking spaces in front of our shops - our freedom to drive where we want and park where we want is being curtailed.However, while you see drivers as the victims of an overmighty cycling lobby, many of us see the problem as being down to us and other drivers.That problem is too many cars, too many journeys done by cars when they could easily be done by other modes, too much congestion slowing everything down, too much pollution creating health issues for everyone, but especially vulnerable groups, and too much CO2 being produced by transport.In the last 10 years, traffic on minor residential roads in London has almost doubled - that's what's impacting your freedom to drive where you want at a convenient speed, not cyclists.If I was to say the solution to the problem of congestion and pollution is more cars - that's laughably absurd. The consensus is that fewer car journeys and more bikes would solve these issues - freeing up space for those who need to use their vehicles for work or other reasons.Yes, your freedom to drive where you want is being curtailed.  But then your freedom, combined with the other 4m+ daily car trips in London is causing oppression for everyone....including you.

Ed Saper ● 899d

Maggie - I am happy that we can find some common ground.I will agree with you that the vast majority of adult cyclists also hold driving licenses (I think that's the 87% stat you mention). I will also agree with you that cyclists are a minority in London.I take it you accept that cyclists aren't a "tiny" minority in London, but about 14% of the adult population having grown about 2000% in 5 years. You do make an interesting point about how far we should go to accommodate this minority:"Perhaps when cyclist become a majority they should have a majority say and the world can then justly revolve around them"If we only the prioritise the needs of the majority, that can have some unintended consequences.No-one currently disputes that older people's safety should be prioritised - protected from being hit by cars or bikes.However, in London those over 65 make up 10% in Inner London and just under 14% in Outer London.Older people are a minority - no-one seriously argues that they shouldn't be protected on the roads because they aren't a majority.In fact, the argument is that because some of them  (e.g. the over 85s who make up circa 5%) are much more vulnerable on the roads, we should design a transport system that keeps this minority as safe as possible, even if that means compromises that may slow down car journeys.  I think it is a sign of a healthy democracy that we don't have a majority rules approach to everything, but instead go out of our way to grant legal rights to minorities with less political power (whether that's elderly people, the disabled, children etc.) to protect their interests and safety.

Ed Saper ● 899d