Forum Topic

No Maggie, obviously I have a life outside my profession which involves dealing with Councils and other public bodies and how I'm treated whether I'm contacting them in a professional or public capacity is just the same.The fact I worked for Councils for 10 years makes no difference to how I'm treated by Officers (nor whether I worked at that Council or not).  I, along with everyone else, get treated appallingly by some Councils or their employees, and what is probably particularly annoying about that is that I'd say my expectation of public services in general is lower than many people's, so it's not a surprise to me when Officers don't respond to multiple emails and phone calls over the space of several weeks.Am I blaming the customers ?  - no.  But if someone rings me up and wants to utilise my services and for whatever reason I don't feel comfortable then I can decline.  Councils and their Officers can't do that.  And, having spent 10 years in the public sector, it never ceased to amaze me just how different people's attitudes can be.  And yes, there are plenty of arseholes amongst the public but as a Council Officer you have to just take it - respect works both ways.  I was only physically assaulted once when working for Councils but that's once too many, verbal threats (slitting my throat and killing my family) weren't that uncommon and the verbal abuse was frequent.In my experience Officers aren't rude and do show respect, my issues with Officers are usually plain incompetence (often because of a lack of knowledge or proper training/education) or how attempts to contact them to clarify simple matters go ignored.

Adam Beamish ● 920d