To follow up, I've now had two replies. The first came a few days ago and was disappointing so I followed up. The second is very firm - there is no chance of a public meeting. First responseI have discussed the issues you raised with Cllr Curran as Lead Member of Planning, and Peter Matthew. This matter was in progress well before the pandemic and we did think very carefully about continuing with this project in the light of the situation. We decided to continue as we have always done, sending paper consultation letters to individual addresses with a phone number on how to contact us, but consulting for a longer than the usual 6 week period in order to give everyone a fair and equitable chance to respond. For example, in our experience sending the letter does encourage those who cannot use computers easily to contact us and it has always worked well. For this reason we continued with a modified consultation process. Legally we are required to designate areas of character which we think are special. However, rather surprisingly, legally we are not actually required to do any consultation at all. That is not something we prefer to do. We have not held public meetings such as have now been proposed in the past and are not required to do so and therefore the residents of the Glebe Estate are being treated equitably with all other residents of the Borough. As always, all responses will be logged and very carefully considered before a decision is made on whether to recommend to Cabinet that they confirm the designation. While I am aware of the residents own referendum on this matter, the GERA website shows this took place some time ago (2013/14) and we have to consider current opinions on the matter, which we consider are best sought by giving all individuals their own independent chance to consider and respond. We invite anyone to contact us with any issues that need clarifying in order for them to make a response. Nonetheless, by the time any consultation report is being drafted and then made publicly available and any recommendation sent to Cabinet you may be able (depending on the pandemic and Local Plan Examination this is likely to be late summer/early autumn) to hold the meeting you request and residents can report any written comments arising from that to you and other ward members at the time, and you should be able to make representations to Cabinet, as I believe is allowed to happen. I hope this clarifies matters for you. Please phone or email me if you would like to discuss this further, or we can meet online.Second responseAs you are aware, this is the final tranche of consultations on 28 conservation area appraisals that we have taken forward. As Sean has indicated, although there is no requirement to consult on them, Cabinet agreed that we should do so. Public meetings have not been held in relation to any of the other tranches of consultations. The consultation provides residents an opportunity to express their views which will then be considered by the team. That some anonymous leaflet has been circulated promoting misleading stuff is not a basis for the council to inconsistently respond by agreeing to public meeting. Having consulted Cllr Curran, we have extended the consultation by a month, and will not be agreeing to a public meeting.
Joanna Biddolph ● 2052d