Forum Topic

Covid, Sweden and the Myth of Herd Immunity.

I see that Michael Brown, our resident Holocaust/Twin Towers/Covid Denier, has taken to posting vague, unattributed charts, entirely out-of-context, to try to "prove" his claim that Sweden didn't have a lockdown, and so had far fewer deaths.This is a complete lie.1. While Sweden didn't impose a total national lockdown, it did take some measures, such as closing schools and universities and banning gatherings of more than 50 etc. Meanwhile, local authorities imposed further restrictions. More generally, Swedes themselves voluntarily self-isolated and practised enhanced hygiene measures as "good citizens" in a popular social democracy. Further, as a highly developed country, they readily embraced Work From Home, and as analysis of real-time credit card use and travel passes showed, greatly reduced their travel and shopping.2. Nonetheless, despite the above and the fact that they have a highly developed health service, however you measure it, they have some of the worst death rates in the developed world, CONSIDERABLY worse than their Nordic neighbours.For example, the current number of Covid Deaths per Million of Population is as follows:United Kingdom - 672SWEDEN - 577France - 515Denmark - 122Finland - 64Norway - 52https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/3. There are emerging any number of authoritative studies, incl from Sweden itself, which show that their approach has been pretty disastrous, eg:https://time.com/5899432/sweden-coronovirus-disaster/https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/how-finland-kept-covid-19-in-check-and-protected-its-economy-1.4364512https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/apr/28/facebook-posts/sweden-mostly-open-has-higher-covid-19-death-rate-/(Of course all the above pre-supposes that you you take 5 minutes to google the subject with an open mind - a process clearly alien to nutjob conspiracy theorists like Brown, who are entirely impervious to reason, facts, evidence or indeed basic honesty should such concepts challenge their pre-conceived obsessions.)3. "Herd Immunity" in the context of Covid is a myth, which has not happened, indeed cannot happen.For as Sarah Pitt, Fellow of the Institute of Bio-Medical Science at Brighton University recently pointed out in an episode of BBC World Service "Science in Action", in the entire history of Mankind, Herd Immunity has never developed for any virus in the absence of an effective vaccine:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3cszh10 (18 mins 30 secs in)And once more, even a perfunctory search will demonstrate that that is so, eg https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/herd-immunity-and-covid-19-experts-warn-against-letting-things-rip/ar-BB1aqR9rhttps://inews.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-herd-immunity-explained-less-immune-reinfection-rates-738484https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/10/natural-herd-immunity-mentality-cannot-stop-coronavirus-weak-vaccine-cvd/https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/18/covid-herd-immunity-funding-bad-science-anti-lockdown

Richard Cathcart ● 1274d155 Comments

RF: "Honest comment isn't defamatory."Correct. For Brown to show he has been defamed, he would have to come out and show that my deduction that he must be a Holocaust Denier is false.And considering he's had ample opportunity for just that formonths now, I'm hardly fearful that he's going to do so now. All the more so when he would himself have to defend the post where he accused ME of denying the Holocaust lol.But I have to say, there is one thing about this whole affair which baffles me. Here we have a poster, Brown, who claims all sorts of false, ludicrous, and hurtful comments on a whole range of topics.These comments fuel, and are fuelled by, insane conspiracies which have caused real hurt at every level, whether it be the poster on here who has lost an old friend "down the rabbit hole" (she literally cannot talk to her any more), or the families of people who have died from Covid, or in terrorist outrages, which Brown claims are fabrications.And taking this onto the wider stage, it is exactly his sort of QAnon lies which fuelled eg the disgraceful scenes we saw last week on Capitol Hill.Moreover, in spreading these lies, he both insults our intelligence and insults our character by calling us "sheeple" etc, with barely-concealed contempt.Yet when I try to point this out, suddenly I'm the bad guy, whilst some other posters on here rush to his defence, including with ignorant, uninformed claims of "defamation" etc.As someone once said: "You couldn't make it up!" - except that Brown does exactly that, whilst some of the very targets of his insane ramblings rush to defend him."Sheeple" indeed...

Richard Cathcart ● 1196d

RT: "There's one other thing, Mr Cathcart. You keep calling Michael Brown a holocaust denier - a disgusting  slur on anyone, and which the proprietors of this website may consider libellous. I've a feeling any judge would consider it to be so."RC: One of the hallmarks of convinced Conspiracists is that they believe everything to be a conspiracy. Some of their theories may be superficially plausible and their originators may appear appealing. However, even the most gullible or uninformed will know that the Holocaust was a fact, and that the other "theories" of those few deranged and/or fanatical individuals who deny it are not to be trusted.So I asked Brown whether he believed in The Holocaust, or whether he thought it a hoax. After all, as you say, no decent person would ever be thought to be a denier. Yet Brown has consistently refused to answer, to dispel any doubt. How can this be? The only logical deduction is that he is in fact a denier, but doesn't want to reveal it publicly. But as I have repeatedly said, he only has to post a simple "Yes, I accept the fact of The Holocaust" (six million Jews and others murdered by the Nazi's etc) and I will apologise and retract my accusation.I'm still waiting. Meanwhile, HE had the cheek on another thread to accuse ME of being a denier, when I have posted in clear and unambiguous language the exact opposite.(Btw, I suspect I have more knowledge of the law on defamation than you - I'll take my chance with any Judge of your choosing!)RT: "A  couple  of months ago MB  described on here his visit to Auschwwitz.  Do you not think that anyone who has been to the site of Auschwitz could possibly come away thinking that the holocaust never happened, and wanted his money back?"RC: Go back and read it again. His description was carefully measured and his conclusion was that he came with much to think about. However, he never actually told us what those thoughts amounted to.And it is well known that just as eg neo-Nazi's will often visit Auschwitz to gloat and take selfies etc, Holocaust Deniers will also visit in order to "confirm" their claims (eg that the gas chambers were really shower rooms etc)But as I say, if he does accept The Holocaust as fact, rather than a hoax, he only has to say so and I will apologise and retract unreservedly.

Richard Cathcart ● 1196d

Thank you for that considered response.Some observations.1. Of course there are difficulties in comparing statistics from different countries etc, but most countries at least have reliable death rate records.And when compared with ALL of Sweden's Northern neighbours (Denmark, Finland, Norway, Iceland and the 3 Baltic States), Sweden's Death Rate per 100,000 is greater than all the others by a factor of between 5 x times and 25 x times. Within those figures, there may indeed be some statistical anomalies, but the broad, overall picture seems clear.https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality;2. I cited UK (a bit higher) and France (a bit lower) merely for illustrative purposes. But in response to Brown's original claim that "many" European countries have much higher death rates than Sweden, that Johns Hopkins study shows that Sweden is 6th out of 48 European countries (excl. micro-states like San Marino), being not that far behind numbers 2 to 5 (Belgium being way out in front). And as I said above, it is WAY worse than ALL its northern neighbours; 3. Finland may indeed have been exceptionally well prepared - good for them! - but that doesn't explain all of Sweden's other northern neighbours;4. Your Encyclopedia Britannica extract refers to "diseases" generally, whereas Ms. Pitt specifically referred to viruses. Moreover, I drew a different conclusion from yours re her comments on epidemial equilibrium.And in any case, recent evidence of people being infected a second time with Covid-19 suggests that the immunity gained from a first infection may only last a few months in some cases. If so, this could make Herd Immunity for Covid-19 much harder to achieve than those diseases where immunity last for many years, or even for life.

Richard Cathcart ● 1273d

Richard,Thank you for selecting the references supplied out of the vast number that can be used to support either side of this discussion.I take the view that country comparisons are inherently difficult for various reasons:differences in counting methods and statistical analysisdemographic differences (age structure, ethnicity etc)policy differences (e.g. lockdown levels and timing)There are statistical techniques to make these comparisons, but as we are still in the pandemic it is surely too soon to draw any firm conclusions.  For example we have estimates of future QALYs lost due to health service restrictions but not actual data.  Ditto for medium to long term economic effects.But there are some factors which stand out.  For example the policy of discharging vulnerable people back to care homes to free up beds in hospitals for the "surge" which never came.  In the UK this may have resulted in around 20k excess deaths added to the Covid count (investigation in this week's Sunday Times).  The same policy was enacted in Sweden similarly inflating their figures.You make comparisons with Sweden's Nordic neighbours followed by a list of countries including UK and France - are we now Nordic? And you left out Belgium whose performance is not too good.  But this is cherry picking. There are countries such as Peru and Argentina that have done badly with severe lockdowns and others with a lighter touch that have done better. I've had a look at some of the articles you reference. The Irish Time piece on Finland is interesting:"Experts said Finland’s approach – and the similar one of Denmark and Norway – of shutting down rapidly but not totally to get the pandemic under control, and then reopening after a couple of months has been one of the most successful in Europe in this early stage of coronavirus."..."One big distinction between Finland and all other European countries is its focus on preparedness and how to act in national emergencies, born out of its collective experience during the Winter War in 1939-40 against the Soviet Union. Its law on preparedness explicitly mentions pandemics and was triggered for the first time since the second World War while its emergency stockpiles of medical and protective equipment were the envy of the continent amid shortages elsewhere.Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s state epidemiologist who reviewed the preparedness in Finland several years ago, said: “Their level of preparedness is just way beyond anything we would even dream about in Sweden. But, of course, if you have a neighbour like Russia and you’ve fought wars with them forever ...”"So Finland was well prepared and was able to react quickly and reopen quickly.  I recall noting in March that there seemed to be inadequate local organisation for emergencies (in the Cold War we used to have Civil Defence capability).  It seemed to take about 2 weeks to get going in which time spontaneous local voluntary initiatives had sprung up around the country.  That is perhaps something we could learn from Finland without waiting for detailed analysis.On the subject of herd immunity, the author of this Encyclopedia Britannica article seems to think it is a thing:"Herd immunity, also called community immunity, state in which a large proportion of a population is able to repel an infectious disease, thereby limiting the extent to which the disease can spread from person to person. Herd immunity can be conferred through natural immunity, previous exposure to the disease, or vaccination. An entire population does not need to be immune to attain herd immunity. Rather, herd immunity can occur when the population density of persons who are susceptible to infection is sufficiently low so as to minimize the likelihood of an infected individual coming in contact with a susceptible individual. Herd immunity can prevent sustained disease spread in populations, thereby protecting susceptible individuals from infection. It is applicable, however, only to infectious diseases that can be spread by human contact."I thought Sarah Pitt in the interview was nuanced with her observations and speculations (although her view on herd immunity seems to contradict the quote above - but then science is about disagreement and debate).  She opines that withe better focused testing and control Covid may settle down to a dynamic equilibrium state that can be managed (cf meningitis, norovirus).

Andy Riley ● 1274d