Forum Topic

Lived at 3 Bath Road for many years and I knew him very well. The son of Percy Angelo Staynes, artist and designer of interiors for Canadian Pacific Liners and more.Anthony was academically brilliant and won a scholarship to Westminster School where he was placed 2 years ahead of his age.He then went to Cambridge to study English Literature and was so far ahead that he was invited to choose an additional subject. So he chose French Literature.His father wanted him to be a Judge but Anthony was adamant that he was going to be an artist.He then went to Paris and lead La Vie de Boheme.When his father died he returned and moved into his studio at 3 Bath Road where he both lived and painted.When his mother died he rented out rooms in the house as a means of income.The original Art School opposite was almost completely destroyed when a V1 bomb exploded at 8.32 one morning.It the 60’s it was rebuilt and became Chiswick Polytechnic.At that time Chiswick was in Middlesex County Council which was disbanded in 1965 and it became Hounslow Borough Council.The council then decided to sell the site to developers for housing but Anthony found an MCC clause which stated that the building must be retained for educational purposes.So then there was a long pause before the ArtsEd acquired it and turned it into a world class school for the performing Arts.Anthony’s sister Jill Staynes wrote crime novels together with her friend Margaret Storey and they moved to Wimbledon but Anthony stayed in Bath Road until he died.He was also a conservationist and allowed self set trees, thistles, teasels etc to thrive in the garden. The sycamores and ash trees are now very large and wonderful with the garden being carefully maintained.Some of his hundreds of paintings can be seen on mutualart.com

Rima Jones ● 1171d

I have aimed to include everyone, and cat, and have erred on the side of inclusion rather than exclusion. If a proposer has said the whole family were notable I have included all of them but just being a visitor, like Lucy Middleton, I have excluded. For people with 2 names I have put both names on same line. If there is any doubt about qualification I have put a question mark. It would be helpful if anyone would like to verify names with question marks. If the proposer doesn't know the person's name I have entered what the person did eg counterfeiter. I've noticed a creeping tendency to propose surnames first. Whilst this means a more sensible order it also makes it a bit more time consuming to check for duplications. As we are so far down the line of  Christian names first I suggest we continue with that, not that it matters hugely. Finally, I have been shielding and thought when it's over I'd no longer have time for such matters as this. But my admittedly very limited observations tell me that social distancing is, by the majority, something to be ignored and in some cases to force other people to break against their will.  It looks like I will have time to update this list again as staying at home seems like the healthy option."Patsy" HendrenAdrian ChilesAl MurrayAlain FournierALAN FARTHING Alex JonesAlexander PopeAlistair BurnettAlvin RakoffAndrew NewtonAndy RonayAngela RipponANN ALLRIDGEAnne NaysmithAnt and DeckAnthony BurgessAntonik KasparianArthur Blackburn MPArthur Bryant TriggsArthur McManus?Baroness Northchurch of Chiswick.Baroness Scotland of AsthalBee GeesBHOWNAGGREE, Sir Mancherjee Merwanjee, KCIEBilly BraggBilly Connolly?Bob DwyerBob FrithBobby LloydBonnie LangfordBrian ReeceBrian Tesler CBEBruce DickinsonCamille PissarroCanon Cormack Murphy O’ConnorCath KidstonCephas HOWARDCharlene CarterCharles FoxCindyClaire Goose?Clare BaldingCoin CounterfeitersColin FirthCouncillor ADRIAN LEECP SnowCyril CusackDaley ThompsonDan LugerDaniel O'ConnellDanny JONESDara O'BriainDavid CousinsDavid GreenowDavid ScottDavid Tennant,Davina MaCallDenis FoxDes LynhamDiana WestonDICCON ADAMSDJ Eric PrydzDmitri HvorostovskyDon Taylor.Donald MacCormickDonald Pleasence,DR DENNIS BRADYDr John TodhunterDR MIKE IRANIE.M. Foster,Eamonn Andrews, CBEEddie EdwardsEddie Marsan,Edward Gordon CraigEileen Patricia WingfieldElizabeth McGovern,Elizabeth YeatsElwyn JonesEM ForsterErin PizzeyEster RantzenFenella FieldingField Marshal MontgomeryFlorence Wiese NorbergFou Ts'ongFowler, John Beresford, CBEFrancis Herbert BaconFrank FieldFrederick WaltonFritz SpiegelFuzzGavin CampbellGeorge Herbert WallisGerry FrancisGillian CleggGraham PearceGuy Barker MBEHarold PinterHarry Inigo TriggsHayley WestenraHetty (Harriett) WheeldonHilary BennHis Honour Judge Marcus EdwardsHorace Walpole Hugh GrantHugh PadhamHUGH TELFORDHumphry BerkelyIan DuryIAN JUDGEIAN WYLIEIrene ThomasIris MurdochJack B YeatsJACK BERESFORDJACK GASHIONJack HutchinsonJames Berry OBEJames BolamJames CossinJames MacTaggartJane LloydJason ConranJason DonovanJasper ConranJean Jacques BurnelJean-Jacques RousseauJeremy Paxman,Jeremy Vine,Jill StaynesJim LawesJimmy EllisJimmy YoungJo Grimond MPJohn B YeatsJohn BirdJohn EntwistleJohn FortuneJohn LindleyJohn Michael Baker a.k.a. John Marlborough EastJOHN NEVILLE?John Roderick Warlow GradidgeJohn SergeantJohn ThawJON PERRYJonathan CowenJude LuptonJulian BeresfordKate BeckinsaleKate LloydKenneth Somers- YeatesKim Wilde?Lady Mary SidneyLarry DannLeila/ Lisa NelsonLEWIS FREDERICK LUPTONLily YeatsLonnie DoneganLord Hannay of Chiswick (and Bedford Park) GCMG is probably not a former residentLord Sebastian Coe? UnlikelyLucien PissaroLuluLynn SeymourMaggie Smith,Margaret HenleyMarina VaizeyMark Owen?Martin TraversMarty WildeMatt DawsonMatthew LloydMaude GonneMcDonald HobleyMcFly.Meat Loaf.MI5's forensic scientist (F) in the Porland Spy Case, not to be named!Michael BillingtonMichael FlandersMICHAEL LEE ADAYMichael SheplyMidge UreMike SolomonsMilton Reid?Moira Stewart ?Morecambe and WiseNancy Astor?Nancy MitfordNatalia MakarovaNatasha KaplinskiNeal (sic) English Chess ChampionNEIL WALLISNick KnowlesNick LoweNigel Havers?Noel GallagherPaddy BowdenPamela Stephenson?Patrick HamiltonPatrick Stewart?PAUL ALLENPaul LynchPauline YatesPercy Angelo Staynes 1927-1953Peter BlakePeter CollinsonPeter EganPeter VaughanPhil Collins?Phillip SchofieldPhyllis Logan,Polly Devlin,Prince Dmitri GalitzinePrince Nicholas and Princess Irina GalitzinePrince of Wales (the future Edward VII) and AlexandraPrincess Marina GalitzinePrivate Hitch VCRageh OmaarRalph GriffithsRebecca FrayneRedgravesRev Michael ChampneysRhoda BickerdikeRichard BriersRichard CurtisRichard OsmanRichard O'SullivanRick SteinRobert ( Bob ) Alan Mowbury (or Robert Alan Mowbray Stevenson?)Robert ( Robin ) Brian BackRobert Bolt ?Robert LindsayRoderic  ( Roddy ) LlewelynRodziankosRoger DaltreyROGER LLEWELLYN ROSAMUND LUPTONRula LenskaSam KyddSam LloydSarah Anne Drake ( Ducky)Sarah Miles ?Scott Walker? Sergius StepniakSHAUN EDWARDSSheila Hancock.Sidney LotterbySir Alec GuinnessSir Charles (CB) CochraneSir Denis FollowsSir Herbert Beerbohm TreeSir John HurtSir John Issac ThornycroftSir Nigel PlayfairSir Roger CasementSir Rowland WhiteheadSOPHIE ELLIS-BEXTORSTEVE COPPELLSteve Marriott?STUART BARNESStuart ReedSusan Jamiesonsuzi perryThe man who shot Norman Scott’s dog lived in Chiswick. Newton?Thomas Griffiths WainewrightTim HenmanTIM LOVEJOYTimothy Dalton.Tom LloydTom MangoldTommy CooperTorin DouglasVanessa Redgrave,VIRAM JASANIViscount DavidsonVladimir RodziankoWally BarnesWatson EmilyWayne SleepWB YeatsWendy CraigWhistler?Will PoulterWilliam DalrympleWilliam Earnest Henley (a.k.a. Byron McGuinness?)William HogarthWilliam James “Bill” BaileyWilliam TerrissWin Hutchinson Zoffany

James Petri ● 1367d

Sir Alec Guinness ; The Brook, Stamford Brook.Actor. With his wife and small son occupied the old part of the house for six freezing winter months in 1945-6. Robin Back met him and helped with his preparation for one of TS Elliots plays. ( Not as some have said, The Cocktail Party, which still awaited its premier!)Robert ( Robin ) Brian Back, 1924-2004 ; 9 South Parade 1940-2004.In 1942 Robin was one of a threesome who started the Bedford Park Players whose aim was to perform plays when the war ended. The expected early armistice , however did not happen and Robin was called up in January 1943 to serve in the Royal Artillery.At first his army life seems to have been largely devoted to trips home and to the theatre, dodging the bombing on the journey back to barracks in Surrey. He first saw action after embarking on D-Day, although did not land in Normandy until the next day. He kept a diary throughout his life ; all his wartime diaries , in tiny writing, have been deposited in the Imperial War Museum.He was demobbed in June 1947 and continued with his acting and joined the House of Arts playing his first role for them, Dumain in loves Labours Lost in 1948.At his house in South Parade he acted, produced and organised, presenting monthly meetings with readings and talks as well as many staged performances for over 50 years. Under Robins care, the House of Arts provided a real social service for many local people.He died on July 25th, 2094, a month or so short of his 80th birthday.

Rima Jones ● 1407d

Interesting Stuart.I am fortunate to have acquired a wonderful book, written by Lawrence Duttson, called “ Mainly about Bedford Park People” and it has details of hundreds of former residents who have lived in Bedford Park.Astonishing!It occurred to me that during lockdown we could find out about other notable former residents in the rest of Chiswick which is why I included Robert Alan Mowbury Stevenson who didn’t live in the Bedford Park area but had connections with those who did.en.m.wikipedia.org :-“In the autumn of 1899 his constitution showed signs of breaking up and he died in his house in Chiswick on April 18th 1900.” He is also included on http://www.chiswickbookfestival.net/chiswick-timeline-writers-trail/quick-guide-chiswick-timeline-writers-books/Years ago I decided to find out who had lived in my house because I knew from talking to elderly neighbours that there had been some interesting people.This involved making appointments at the library to look through all the poor rates books in the basement, next to the huge old boiler with all its pipes and no natural light. Massive leather-bound tomes, hand written in script which were so heavy that I needed help to get them all off the shelves. Then upstairs to go through Kelly’s and I had to do all this lots of times before I finally got to the end. Perseverance!Filed it all and left it in a cupboard.Recently got it all out. Researched all the names in “Mainly About Bedford Park People “ and was amazed to see the entire history of most of them.Now all typed up and sent to the Bedford Park Society for their records and they’re as astonished as me.Apparently it’s easier to do this now. Tracemyhouse.comDiscover the history of your house - without leaving the house.As it happens, please note that this years Bedford Park Festival is being held virtually and will feature lockdown performances by a host of local stars.It is taking place from Friday 12th June ( today! ) to Sunday 28th June and will include a Green Days and Craft Fair at Home.

Rima Jones ● 1412d

His Honour Judge Marcus Edwards 1937-; Melbourne House 1965-2006.He was called to the Bar ( M) in 1962. He was appointed as a Recorder in 1985 and as a Circuit Judge on the South Eastern Circuit in 1986.When he bought the house, the works were so extensive that he could stand in the basement and see the sky.Chairman of the Appeal to raise funds for a complete replacement of the roof of St Michael’s Church.Founder member of the Bedford Park Festival. Took an active part in Bedford Park affairs as an early member of the new wave of inhabitants who arrived at the beginning of the revival of its fortunes and did much to further it.He and his wife now live in a small village called Mathon near Ledbury in Herefordshire.I met him many times and he was absolutely charming.On one occasion early in the morning I found a handbag on top of a bin in TGT Mews. It had in it a wallet with an AA card  but no cash or bank cards.The AA card had an address on it. Melbourne House. So I took it straight there. The gate was locked but the police were there with a very distressed lady in her night clothes. So I called to them and held up the bag. The lady and police ran to the gate and unlocked it so that I could give her the bag. She was so relieved that she burst into tears. She said that she was not concerned about the missing cash and bank cards which she had cancelled but she needed her diary which was still in the bag.The burglar had somehow managed to get into the huge back garden,  broken the kitchen window and taken her bag whilst they watching the TV the night before.She wanted to reward me but I refused. I was just relieved to have been able to return it.The next time I met Marcus he told me that the police had on that same morning whilst patrolling in King Street seen a man putting some cards into a litter bin. They stopped him, retrieved the cards and arrested him.Brilliant work on the part of the police.He also opened his very extensive back garden for the Bedford Park Festival. A wonderful space with carved stone lions, lawns and roses.A much loved former resident.

Rima Jones ● 1433d

Jeffrey, I haven't checked all your names but your list is 147 and mine below, now re-ordered like yours by first name, is 214. I don't think the difference is made up by duplications so maybe you had some missing?It has been suggested that this thread is going on until Christmas 2021, crikey, so I have listed all names so far to reduce duplications, surprisingly few so far. I am unable to sort by surname so perhaps someone could do this? I have included all names both past and current residents. I have put in question marks where the poster is not sure. I have included nominated cats. Apologies for errors and omissions.List start 30/4/20 15:01 to 19/5/20 14:17 Rima Jones. To find an actual post copy the name and paste into Search Forum, hit search. Thread title Notable former residents of houses in ChiswickAl MurrayAlain FournierAlex JonesAlexander PopeAlistair BurnettAlvin RakoffAndrew NewtonAndy RonayAngela RipponANN ALLRIDGEAnne NaysmithAnt and DeckAnthony BurgessAntonik KasparianArthur Blackburn MPArthur McManus?Baroness Scotland?Bee GeesBilly BraggBilly Connolly?Bob DwyerBob FrithBonnie LangfordBrian ReeceBrian TeslerBruce DickinsonCamille PissarroCanon Cormack Murphy O’ConnorCath KidstonCephas HOWARDCharles FoxCindyClaire Goose?Clare BaldingCoin CounterfeitersColin FirthCP SnowDaley ThompsonDaniel O'ConnellDanny JONESDavid CousinsDavid GreenowDavid ScottDavid Tennant,Davina MaCallDenis FoxDes LynhamDiana WestonDICCON ADAMSDJ Eric PrydzDmitri HvorostovskyDon Taylor.Donald MacCormickDonald Pleasence,DR DENNIS BRADYDR MIKE IRANIE.M. Foster,Eamonn Andrews, CBEEddie EdwardsEddie Marsan,Edward Gordon CraigElizabeth McGovern,Elizabeth YeatsElwyn JonesEM ForsterErin PizzeyEster RantzenFenella FieldingField Marshal MontgomeryFlorence Wiese NorbergFou Ts'ongFrank FieldFrederick WaltonFritz SpiegelFuzzGavin CampbellGerry FrancisGuy Barker MBEHarold PinterHayley WestenraHetty (Harriett) WheeldonHilary BennHUGH TELFORDHumphry BerkelyIan DuryIris MurdochJack B YeatsJACK GASHIONJames Berry OBEJames BolamJames CossinJason ConranJason DonovanJasper ConranJean Jacques BurnelJean-Jacques RousseauJeremy Paxman,Jeremy Vine,Jill StaynesJimmy EllisJimmy YoungJo Grimond MPJohn B YeatsJohn BirdJohn EntwistleJohn FortuneJohn LindleyJOHN NEVILLE?John ThawJonathan CowenJude LuptonKate BeckinsaleKenneth Somers- YeatesKim Wilde?Lady Mary SidneyLarry DannLeila/ Lisa NelsonLEWIS FREDERICK LUPTONLily YeatsLonnie DoneganLucien PissaroLuluLynn SeymourMaggie Smith,Marina VaizeyMark Owen?Martin TraversMarty WildeMaude GonneMcFly.Meat Loaf.MI5's forensic scientist (F) in the Porland Spy Case, not to be named!Michael BillingtonMichael FlandersMICHAEL LEE ADAYMichael SheplyMidge UreMilton Reid?Moira Stewart ?Morecambe and WiseNancy Astor?Nancy MitfordNatalia MakarovaNatasha KaplinskiNick KnowlesNigel Havers?Noel GallagherPaddy BowdenPamela Stephenson?Patrick HamiltonPatrick Stewart?"Patsy" HendrenPAUL ALLENPercy Angelo Staynes 1927-1953Peter BlakePeter EganPhillip SchofieldPhyllis Logan,Polly Devlin,Prince of Wales (the future Edward VII) and AlexandraPrivate Hitch VCRageh OmaarRalph GriffithsRebecca FrayneRedgravesRev Michael ChampneysRhoda BickerdikeRichard BriersRichard CurtisRichard OsmanRichard O'SullivanRick SteinRobert Bolt ?Robert LindsayRoger DaltreyROSAMUND LUPTONRula LenskaSam KyddSarah Miles ?Sergius StepniakSHAUN EDWARDSSheila Hancock.Sidney LotterbySir Charles (CB) CochraneSir Denis FollowsSir Herbert Beerbohm TreeSir John HurtSir Roger CasementSOPHIE ELLIS-BEXTORSTEVE COPPELLSteve Marriott?STUART BARNESSusan Jamiesonsuzi perryThomas Griffiths WainewrightTim HenmanTIM LOVEJOYTimothy Dalton.Tom MangoldTommy CooperTorin DouglasVanessa Redgrave,Vladimir RodziankoWally BarnesWayne SleepWB YeatsWendy CraigWhistler?Will PoulterWilliam DalrympleWilliam HogarthWilliam TerrissZoffany,

James Petri ● 1435d

Does this help?Alex JonesAlexander PopeAlvin RakoffAndrew NewtonAndy RonayANN ALLRIDGEAnne NaysmithAnt and DeckAnthony BurgessArthur Blackburn MPBaroness Scotland?Bee GeesBilly Connolly?Bob Frith Brian ReeceBrian TeslerBruce DickinsonCanon Cormack Murphy O’ConnorCephas HOWARDCharles FoxCindyClaire Goose?Clare BaldingColin Firth CP SnowDaley ThompsonDaniel O'Connell Danny JONESDavid CousinsDavid Tennant, Denis FoxDes LynhamDiana WestonDICCON ADAMSDon Taylor.Donald Pleasence, E.M. Foster, Eamonn Andrews, CBE Eddie Marsan, Elizabeth YeatsEM Forster Erin PizzeyEster RantzenFenella Fielding Field Marshal Montgomery Fou Ts'ongFrank FieldFritz SpiegelFuzzGavin Campbell Gerry FrancisHarold PinterHilary BennHUGH TELFORDHumphry BerkelyIris MurdochJack B YeatsJames BolamJames CossinJames Petri Jason ConranJean Jacques BurnelJimmy EllisJimmy YoungJimmy Young?Jo Grimond MPJohn B YeatsJohn BirdJohn EntwistleJohn FortuneJohn LindleyJohn ThawJonathan CowenKim Wilde?Lady Mary SidneyLarry DannLily YeatsLonnie DoneganLulu Lynn SeymourMarina VaizeyMark Owen?Marty Wilde Marty Wilde?Maude GonneMcFly.Meat Loaf.Michael FlandersMICHAEL LEE ADAYMichael SheplyMidge UreMilton Reid?Moira Stewart ?Nancy Astor?Nancy MitfordNatalia MakarovaNoel GallagherPamela Stephenson?Patrick HamiltonPatrick Hamilton, Patrick Stewart?Patsy HendrenPAUL ALLENPeter BlakePeter EganPhillip Schofield Prince of Wales (the future Edward VII) and AlexandraPrivate Hitch VC Rageh OmaarRebecca FrayneRedgravesRhoda BickerdikeRichard Briers Richard OsmanRobert LindsayRobert Lindsay & Roger Daltrey Rula LenskaSam KyddSergius StepniakSHAUN EDWARDSSheila Hancock.Sidney LotterbySir Denis FollowsSir John HurtSir Roger CasementSOPHIE ELLIS-BEXTORSTEVE COPPELLSteve Marriott?STUART BARNESSusan JamiesonTim HenmanTIM LOVEJOYTimothy Dalton.Tom MangoldTommy CooperVladimir RodziankoWally BarnesWayne SleepWB YeatsWendy CraigWhistler?Will PoulterWilliam DalrympleWilliam HogarthWilliam TerrissZoffany,

Jeffrey Cope ● 1435d

It has been suggested that this thread is going on until Christmas 2021, crikey, so I have listed all names so far to reduce duplications, surprisingly few so far. I am unable to sort by surname so perhaps someone could do this? I have included all names both past and current residents. I have put in question marks where the poster is not sure. Apologies for errors and omissions.List start 30/4/20 15:01 to 19/5/20 14:17 Rima Jones. To find an actual post copy the name and paste into Search Forum, hit search. Thread title Notable former residents of houses in ChiswickMichael FlandersSergius StepniakSir John HurtSir Roger CasementTommy CooperWB YeatsJimmy EllisSir Denis FollowsPeter EganJohn ThawSheila Hancock.CP SnowRichard Briers Phillip Schofield Private Hitch VC Field Marshal Montgomery Wayne SleepE.M. Foster, Patrick Hamilton, Donald Pleasence, Zoffany, Alexander PopeRedgravesEamonn Andrews, CBE Midge UreMarty Wilde Robert Lindsay & Diana WestonJimmy Young?Timothy Dalton.Anthony BurgessNatalia MakarovaVladimir RodziankoBrian ReeceTim HenmanFrank FieldRula LenskaJames BolamColin Firth Ant and DeckFou Ts'ongBrian TeslerJohn EntwistleWill PoulterFenella Fielding Roger Daltrey Noel GallagherMoira Stewart ?Humphry BerkelyRhoda BickerdikeMichael SheplyLonnie DoneganLynn SeymourDes LynhamTom MangoldAndrew Newton"Patsy" HendrenDenis FoxBob Frith Andy RonayEster RantzenCephas HOWARDLulu Bee GeesArthur Blackburn MPDon Taylor.Gerry FrancisCanon Cormack Murphy O’ConnorWilliam HogarthPrince of Wales (the future Edward VII) and AlexandraCharles FoxWilliam TerrissJimmy YoungSidney LotterbyWhistler?Daley ThompsonMaude GonneJohn B YeatsElizabeth YeatsLily YeatsDaniel O'Connell Jack B YeatsEM Forster Marina VaizeyRageh OmaarRichard OsmanClare BaldingDavid Tennant, Eddie Marsan, Alex JonesJonathan CowenWilliam DalrympleLady Mary SidneyJames CossinAlvin RakoffSusan JamiesonJohn FortuneTIM LOVEJOYSTUART BARNESSTEVE COPPELLSHAUN EDWARDSDanny JONESMcFly.SOPHIE ELLIS-BEXTORMICHAEL LEE ADAYMeat Loaf.Bruce DickinsonWendy CraigClaire Goose?Mark Owen?Jason ConranWally BarnesJo Grimond MPPatrick Stewart?Robert LindsayGavin Campbell Rebecca FrayneIris MurdochHarold PinterSam KyddBilly Connolly?Pamela Stephenson?Patrick HamiltonAnne NaysmithJean Jacques BurnelMarty Wilde?Kim Wilde?Hilary BennBaroness Scotland?John LindleySteve Marriott?Erin PizzeyDavid CousinsCindyNancy Astor?Nancy MitfordMilton Reid?Peter BlakeFritz SpiegelJohn BirdLarry DannDICCON ADAMSPAUL ALLENHUGH TELFORDANN ALLRIDGERev Michael ChampneysBob DwyerDavid GreenowEddie Edwards James Berry OBEMorecambe and WiseLeila/ Lisa NelsonAntonik KasparianGuy Barker MBETorin Douglas DJ Eric PrydzJill StaynesRick SteinCamille PissarroLucien PissaroNigel Havers?David ScottKate BeckinsaleMoira StewartColin Firth, Vanessa Redgrave, Maggie Smith, Jeremy Vine, Jeremy Paxman,Richard CurtisElizabeth McGovern, Phyllis Logan, Polly Devlin, Al MurrayJasper ConranSarah Miles ?Robert Bolt ?Cath KidstonMartin Travers Natasha KaplinskiJohn BirdJason DonovanHayley WestenraAngela RipponDavina MaCallKenneth Somers- YeatesRichard O'SullivanBonnie LangfordAlistair Burnett Percy Angelo Staynes 1927-1953Alain FournierFuzzDmitri HvorostovskyBilly Bragg Donald MacCormickJOHN NEVILLE?Ian DuryDR MIKE IRANIDR DENNIS BRADYFlorence Wiese NorbergSir Herbert Beerbohm TreeMichael BillingtonSir Charles (CB) CochraneEdward Gordon CraigNick Knowlessuzi perryHetty (Harriett) WheeldonArthur McManus?Frederick WaltonMI5's forensic scientist (F) in the Porland Spy Case, not to be named!Elwyn JonesJean-Jacques RousseauRalph GriffithsThomas Griffiths WainewrightJACK GASHIONCoin CounterfeitersJude LuptonROSAMUND LUPTONLEWIS FREDERICK LUPTONPaddy Bowden

James Petri ● 1436d

Sergius Stepniak 1852-9531 Blandford Road 1893-95 and 48 Woodstock Road autumn 1895.By the time he reached Bedford Park in 1892-93 he was 40 and enjoyed the social life.Hodgson describes him as being devoid of wrinkles, or even the slightest line of care with small, somewhat Japanese eyes with “a huge Square head crowned by a luxuriant growth of shaggy black hair .... A Russian eagle could have comfortably built its nest in either of the two crevices by which Stepniaks raven locks were divided.On Sunday 22nd December 1895 he hosted the Calumet at his house in Woodstock Road - JM East says that he visited Stepniak on this day along with Ben Webster, May Whitt’s, HB Irving, William Terris ( who was later murdered ) as well as George Lazarev.On 23rd December Stepniak set out for a meeting with Volkhovsky and Lazarev at 56 Rylett Crescent, Hammersmith ( he was to sign an agreement to edit a new magazine for Lazarev).He was hit by a train of the North and South Western Junction Railway and killed. The Times of December 30 makes it clear that this was on the Woodstock Road level crossing and not on the Bath Road crossing as has been generally assumed. The driver blew his whistle and the stoker shouted to no avail. One explanation is that, as a prisoner in Turkey, he developed the power to shut out exterior sounds when he was thinking -“How else could I endure English dinner parties”, he used to say. Jerome K Jerome, who walked to Bedford Park with him from the Uxbridge Road on the previous Sunday, claims that Stepniak was deep in talk and did not notice an approaching tran on the crossing till he plucked his sleeve. He concluded: “ He had betrayed some secret, it was said, to the Russian Police, and had been given a choice between suicide or denunciation. The truth was never known”.His funeral was attended by Dr Aveling, William  orris, John Burns, MP, Mrs Eleanor Marx Aveling, Keir Hardie and a great crowd of others. He was cremated at Woking. In the well known drawing by TH Wilson, Stepniak glowers at his study at 31 Blandford Road. One wonders whether there was a servant at the end of the bell-pull.“ Mainly about Bedford Park People” by Lawrence Duttson.

Rima Jones ● 1436d

1Bath Road.Martin Travers ( Howard Martin Otis Travers.) 1913 -1919.He was one of the most versatile and prolific ecclesiastical artists of his generation.He was one of the foremost stained glass painters of his time and also a notable church furnisher and designer of new buildings, graphics and jewellery.In 1925 he was awarded the Grand Prix for stained glass at the International Exhibition of Decorative and Industrial Arts in Paris.Amongst his many works was the complete refurbishment of the interior of St Augustines Church in Queensgate including the massive reredos in 1928.Also the Canterbury University College memorial window ( now the Arts Centre ) in Christchurch, New Zealand, commemorating over 400 staff and students who served in the 1st World War ( 98 killed and 200 wounded )The whole window is in the shape of Britain with red dragons snarling at the soldiers ( as in the St George window in St Michael and All Angels chapel, Bath Road, which he also designed and it is signed HMOT, dated 1915 )The New Zealand window is massive and I wonder how he got it all together at that time.He was a conscientious objector to the war and continued with his work in the studio at 1 Bath Road, much of which was memorials to those who had died in the war.In 1916 he became a Red Cross ambulance driver to avoid imprisonment.In 1912 Travers designed a window for Chesterblade Church, Somerset.In his notebooks is a first draft of an invitation to his friends and family to come and see the design in his studio at 1Bath Road.In 1914 he was commissioned to design a reredos, altar and stained glass window for the chapel of All Souls at Saint Michael and All Angels Church, Bedford Park ( next to where he lived and worked ).He also designed for the church, a wooden gilded processional cross and an outside rood above the door. He later designed the internal door case for the same door. He was involved in the design of the bronze and stone memorial to Jonathan Carr ( the first owner of 1Bath Road), who died in 1915. It is situated outside on the SW wall, next to Travers window.He became a friend of John Betjeman who wrote in notes preserved in the council for the care of churches that Travers was “a most charming and inspiring companion and a man of infinite kindness. He was quietly amusing and a good friend.”Betjeman used Travers name in his poem “ Anglo-Catholic Congresses”, in 1958.“ Yet under the Travers baroque, in a lime washed brightness,The fiddle-back vestments a-glitter with morning rays,Our ladies image, in multi-candled brightness,The bells and banners - those were the waking days,When faith was taught and fanned to a golden blaze.”It was during his days in 1Bath Road, that his relationship with Christine Wilmour developed. She was a tempestuous lady of whom his mother who had also moved into the house did not approve and it was a liaison which was to shape the rest of his life and in 1917 it became necessary for him to flee to Birmingham with Christine, due to her pregnancy, in order to escape from his mothers wrath, ensuing scandal and arrange a rapid marriage.He was not then able to return to 1 Bath Road and he moved his workshop to Fulham Glass Works in 1919.

Rima Jones ● 1447d

Hollywood legend Bette Davis!!!Nah.  But she does play a part in the story of three of Chiswick's most treasured theatricals:-James Cossins:- superb character actor.  Countless roles.  Even Faulty Towers..Alvin Rakoff:- wonderful Canadian writer, stage & film director, still with us in his nineties.Sheila Hancock:- Terrific actress.  Lived locally.  Married to John Thaw.  Enough said..So – it's the late sixties and Bette Davis agrees to play one-eyed Mrs Taggart, the lead in “The Anniversary” a black comedy  to be shot at Elstree with an otherwise all-British cast.Alvin was to direct.  But Bette and Alvin soon fell out and he was replaced after a week.  She didn't need a director.  All she required was someone to worship her and point the camera in her direction.  Great, great actress but wrong on this occasion.  The screenplay was far too wordy and needed someone like Alvin to bring it all together.  No matter.  Lucky escape for him.Jimmy Cossins (lived in Bedford House on the Avenue and later in Dale Street on the Glebe Estate.. no longer with us) played Bette's eldest son who has a penchant for stealing ladies knickers off local washing lines by night.  His is head and shoulders the best performance in the film.  He doesn't quite steal it from Bette Davis.  But he gets bloody close..Sheila Hancock was excellent as always.  But the haughty behaviour of this Hollywood superstar was something she'd never come across before and, to put it bluntly, she loathed Davis.Anyway – unlike Now Voyager etc)  the film didn't do well and has since disappeared with very little trace (except my CD copy and my portrait of Bette Davis in our kitchen).  Doubt anyone on here's ever heard of it but I thought the 3-way local connection made it worth including..

Stuart Kerr ● 1454d