Forum Topic

Jim - there is always more we could learn as I'm sure you have discovered and will keep on discovering.  It also changes.  Corrugated cardboard is brilliant stuff that even furniture can be made out of - and this can be found online.  I really enjoy some of the changes that have been made in packaging to make it easier for us to all flatten and hopefully dispose of it carefully for recycling so that it can be used again. Just this Christmas I was looking at a box of booze and the way that the bottles had been packed. We don't often see exhibitions of that and any little films of the value of packaging.  I hate it when it is excessive and unnecessary and difficult to deal with but there is also brilliant innovation.  Remember how much of it used to be mixed - which is hard to recycle!The flytipping that has blighted our lives and still continues is a constant nightmare and I know that you followed up on some of the 'scallywags' who do this.  I wouldn't be as polite and understanding especially when it often such a  deliberate and lazy act in avoiding even trying to deal with something in a better way. Whether it is the lazy people who just get up and leave their picnic detritus (having brought it in bags or boxes when it was heavier) or the decorators whose half full and empty paint pots, spoilt buckets and paint trays and rollers are taken away from the clients' homes and offices and are then dumped and whose behaviour has lost the general public the convenience of supermarket recycling; it blights our neighbourhoods.A lot of this goes back to the law and the separation of  business waste and household waste under it. Householders pay Council Tax which covers some of it but businesses of any kind also need to pay for the disposal of their waste. Sometimes the two wastes are similar but sometimes definitely not especially in large quantities!This morning on the radio there was an item on a company making a packaging alternative to plastic essentially out of onion skins and for anyone who actually made their own bread sauce this Christmas or who makes rice pudding they will also have noticed the skin that forms on the top of it.

Philippa Bond ● 456d

Jim,Can I comment as a regular litter picker in this Turnham Green group? The litter that we pick up does indeed contain some items that could have been recycled and it bothers me as, like you, I try to do the best I can first to reduce what I buy that needs to be recycled, then make sure it goes into recycling.  Unfortunately, a lot of what we pick up is in a disgusting state. Cans can be filled with mud, for example. I've dug out bottles full of urine. A very lovely evening dress dumped behind a bush was covered in mushy leaves; it would need to be washed before it could be recycled. I've rescued a wrench and removed usable builders' materials but not had a means of passing them on. Abandoned food seems to be a common chuck round here, whether it's partly eaten or not even opened and still in date ready meals or pots of dips. Plus a lot of what we pick up is fiddly stuff that would end up in waste, anyway: used tissues, plastic ties, laminated posters and countless numbers of cigarette ends as well as lazily chucked bags of dog poo. Now that we can recycle soft plastics (at the Co-op and Sainsbury's) I wish I could divert the many small plastic carrier bags, crisp packets, baby food pouches, etc, but they are usually filthy. You have identified some of the barriers to recycling; there are others including not providing the information needed by residents who already do more than the basics; not providing information in other languages, even though this is a multi-cultural borough; and, still, not providing recycling for residents living in flats above shops. Attempts to stop littering don't seem to work. I vividly remember the driver who tossed his empty drinks can and cigarette packet onto the road and, when I asked him to pick them up, said, "No, we pay other people to do that". Blacks sack waste and contaminated recycling used to be sent to landfill but the landfill tax has been a deterrent. Hounslow's waste is diverted to the West London Waste Authority which burns it for energy. More info is in the links below: https://www.hounslow.gov.uk/recyclingdestinationshttps://westlondonwaste.gov.uk/about-us/energy-from-waste-faqs

Joanna Biddolph ● 460d